HybridZ

1970 240Z W/ L28ET Bring Back to Life/Restore Project

So I posted a few weeks back calling this car a "mystery motor" cause I didn't know much about it at the time. Because I have figured out more and this project has actually began now, I am re-posting. Some of you guys helped me figure out what it is, an L28ET with some other random things done to it. I have started putting in about 2 hours per week over the last few weeks. (I know its not alot, but its all the extra time I have right now).

This car is one of my dad's. Its been sitting in his garage for years. About 4 years ago, I tried to help him do a mega squirt install on it, and we both got busy and it got left to rot. At that time, I got it to run for a short while before the ECU up and died completely (It was a TEC II before the Megasquirt).

Now that my son is almost 4, he's able to come give me a hand on it a little and he has fun working on it with me and "grandpa" so maybe this will actually get done.

So recap of the last few weeks. This was stored on a lift with another car parked underneath it. Then on top of that, there was stuff stored all around and behind the car parked below making it not possible to bring down.

Week 1

So the area is clean.... er... lol. And I am able pull out the bug

Bug that gets to park under the Z

Week 2

Got the car down. Saw that the radiator was fried.

Bad Radiator

Week 3:
Got a new one and attached twin electric fans.
Got it installed. 3 of the four holes lined up, 1 is 1/4" off so I had to Oblong the hole, but it worked.

new alluminum radiator with electric fans mounted

Week 4:
I ordered new rubber radiator hoses. I am skipping on the silicone ones cause I have had too many of my friends have their silicone ones spring random leaks on them or blow entirely with very little mileage. I think the quality of lots of the silicone radiator hoses is bad. I'm sure some of them are high quality, but I didn't want to spend a fortune so I stuck with rubber. The hoses were not in yet this week so I spent my 2 hours putting air in the tires (that will need to be changed), and giving the Z a much needed wash. Heres some before and after.

Dirty Car Before Wash

High up shot of clean Z

And that is where we are now. I'll try to keep posting each week, but it might come down to doing a mass "3 or 4 week" post like this one.

-Riley

Haha, Im working on the sunlight, it may be a little bit though. Paint looks. 75%. Has a few little scratches and looks like the roof is on the cusp of oxidation. So a respray will be in its future eventually.

I'm not actually sure what sway bar it is. I will find out next Wednesday when I work on it. I actually cleaned the bar all up right after I snapped that picture.