HybridZ

n00b turbo questions, probably "again"

CU Zcar

I've done a little searching of archives and can't seem to find some of the answers I'm looking for. I'm going to buy a 280ZX Turbo in the coming weeks for swapping the L28ET into my 1978 280Z and it's been a while since I've read up on the concerns. The ones that are in my head at the moment are:

1) Clearance issues - does the turbo hit anything, I remember the brake master cyl. heat shield has to be moved/modified/removed, I'm worried about really hard stuff to move like the steering or anything else that passes by the turbo

2) I just read a page suggesting that a Turbo oil pan won't fit in a 240Z when used on an L24. Is this an issue for all early Z's or just 240's? I can't remember hearing mention of that before.

3) a couple of the "buildup" pages that were suggested in earlier posts seem to be down, are there any more recent ones I can check out?

I feel pretty confident in my ability to do this swap, it sounds relatively straightforward and I'm no newcomer to engine work...this will be more electrical work than I've done before, but it doesn't worry me greatly either. Fortunately I have a beater to drive around in the meantime :-D Thanks guys,

actually, it does belong here because the questions are more geared towards basic datsun L6 knowledge. I will try my best to answer your questions.

The L6, in all the years it was made, L28, L26, L24, all have parts interchangability. So if something does not fit, there are some problems bonk.gif My girlfriend has a 77, i dont recall seeing any differences in where the turbo engine would effect clearance in any other way than the donor car it came from. The turbo will not hit the steering shaft, or at least what i see it wont.

Guest mblazek

The oil pans are slightly different in that the sump

portion of the pan sits back farther on the Turbo engine. This will only be a problem if you are trying to fit an early engine into a ZX.