HybridZ

lq4 240z

Hi guys

First post on Hybrid Z. Sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I wasn't seeing much v8 stuff in the suspension section. As stated, I am dropping a lq4 in my 72 240z. I am looking for some opinions on rear suspension setups.  My original plans were to do a 9-inch center with a chevelle-style 4 link.  Many people have recommended I look into a 8.8 IRS setup.  I am mostly interested in the 9-inch for durability.  Have any of you gone with live axle and wish you hadn't?  I guess my inclination towards the 9-inch is because I could buy a custom housing and axle package for the price of custom cv half shafts for the 8.8.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I like irs, but if you're not auto-crossing your vehicle, just 9" swap it. Even then, you can make a live axle hand well.

I will be wanting to auto-cross some, as well as just have a nice driver to take out at times. Have you or others been successful with a properly aligned 9-inch in autox? If I were to go with IRS, I would probably be looking into something modular I could swap in as a whole unit from a newer vehicle. Any recommendations for that?

Do the solid axle is my vote. I broke at least one axle a week in the stock setup. My 8.8 is holding strong.......for now.

How long have you been running the 8.8 setup? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you dish out for your setup?

First swap was about 6 months. With the turbo I changed the whole 4 link setup I've put maybe 500 miles worth of burn outs on it. I paid $160 for the 8.8 $300 on axles. You will have to narrow it by about 7-8 inches. I had a 4 link and coil overs sitting here so it didn't cost me much.