HybridZ

electric fan thermostat question ??

72zcar

I am installing a new electric fan on my L28 in my 71 240z. The old fan (before i bought the car) had the fan thermostat sender was under the top hose on top of the thermostat (radiator side of thermostat)

Is this right? it seems like it should be on the engine side of the thermostat... someone set me straight..thanks twak.gif

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I use a switch to turn on my fan but if you needed you can buy a fan thermostat kit that will turn on your fan at a preset temp, always use a thermostat my car ran hot without one.

Do you want an adjustable unit or a preset unit? I like an adjustable unit, I'll set the switch to 185-190 for cooler/street casual use so the ee fan doesn't run except when the radiator itself can't keep up (I run a robert shaw hiflo 180 Tstat with a Stewart Warner stage II wp). For track days of some odd scenario when radiator alone could use some help I'll tweak it down so it comes on 170 or so to help give the system a headstart.......I've found if the fan is kicked in earlier during more suspect conditions the entire system can control the temp easily.....if fan comes in too late and is really required the higher temps seem a lot harder to overcome. 99.9% I just leave it at 185-190. When it's an adjustable unit it doesn't matter where you put it as you're setting it relative to what your dash (or other sensors you may have, I have OEM and my proflo sensors) or other sensors tell you.....ie. I'm not setting the adjustable unit to '185', I'm just putting it in a position that it then kicks in when my proflo reads 185 degrees.....

anyone seen a nice external sensor/adjustalbe unit lately? I'm still running a flex-a-lite unit with a large thermocouple (like an older gas furnace) that I tuck into my upper rad hose and seal with some silicone/tape where the capillary tube exits the hose.