HybridZ

Multivalve cross-flow cylinder head for L6? looooong...

Mack

this whole O.S. Giken thing go tme thinking.... WHy cant I build my own? so, as I sat and looked out at my vast feild (well, not that vast)of non-running nissans, I spied my 2 240sx coupes, both with blown motors due to timing chain buide collapses, plugs up the oil pick up, and blam, rod thru the block. SO, I have 2 SOHC 12 valve heads and my wheels start turning.... especially after I see this thread

head thread

So, I email good ole Dave and he says a KA24E 12 vlaver WILL fit on a L20B, so if it fits on an L20B, If I cut and hack 2 heads togethor it will fit on a L24, 26, 28, 30, 31. I think the best plan of action will be to cut one head in half, then cut cyl 1 and 4 off of the other, then stick the remaining cyl 3 and 4 inbetween the halves of the first head and somehow have it welded up. And then do the necessary cut and weld job on the cams to turnb 2 4 cyl cams into a 6 cyl cam. might be tricky, but I think it'll work.

This accomplishes a few things.

1. we now have a cross-flow head.

2. It uses STOCK nissan valve-train parts

3. Its still SOHC, so no ultra trick chain drives are needed. only thing is front cover will have to be modded.

4. 2 34mm intake valves and 1 40mm exhaust valves? I can live with that!

let me know what you think.

P.S. this should work. the 510 guys put L heads on Z20, Z22 and Z24 blocks, and they put Z20, Z22 and Z24 heads on L blocks. The Z series head gaskets and the KA-E head gaskets look EXACTLY the same. all I need now is money.

Sounds interesting to me, will be tough and probably a bit expensive still, but I'd put my estimate at around 2k to get it done, minus parts.

I'll talk to a head guy and see what he thinks, if they can do it to a block, they must be able to do it to a head.

Things like this have been done before. The old inline sixers in the U.S. used to cut of the 4th and 1st cylinder of the cross flow heads from a v-* engine to get cross flow heads for their motors. I don't have any specifics but my uncle said they used to jb-weld them together.