HybridZ

Porting and gasket matching questions...

Jwink25

I have a Turbo engine and need to know if I can gain any real horsepower by gasket matching the intake and exhaust to the head? Also, how about smoothing out the bowls in the head? I kinda don't want to tear apart the engine but since its on the stand, now would be a good time. But, I only want to do it if I can gain any decent amount of power. Oh, and what about the valve angles? Is the factory grind ok? Can they be ground at different angles for better performance? I would like to at least 250-275 HP using the stock turbo and EFI.

Guest JAMIE T

Are you talking about valve angles(valve in relation to the deck), or valve seat angles(the angles ground into the valve seat and valve like during a valve job)? Changing the valve angle would be serious reworking of the head, and not worth it. Getting a good competition valve job is well worth the expense. The shop will put more angles in the seat to allow the mixture to flow more smoothly by it. Some shops will put 3 angles in the seat, and 2 angles on the valve. Plus, back cutting the valves is a way to pick up some HP along the way. I think on a turbo engine most porting should be done in the bowls. Then turn to the exhuast side. The boost will get the air into the engine, you just gotta help get it out. Don't forget to port the exhuast manifold while you've got the grinder out.

To get 275 or so HP is not very hard. All you need is alittle more fuel and an intercooler. There are many ways to get the extra fuel from very expensive to realativly cheap. A stock T3 should be able to provide enough air with little effort. A good exhaust system will free up some ponies as well.

So how can I get more fuel? Will the stock fuel rail/pump work up to 275 HP? Do I need bigger injectors? Is there a FPR that raises the rate with the boost that I can get fairly cheap? I am kinda new to the turbo thing. I did buy the book Maxium Boost.