HybridZ

Qs on L28 swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i didn't really see my exact questions in the search engine or maybe i just didn't search well enough. but i wanted to ask how much do the L28Es usually run? engine, tranny, harness (because i would be going from Carb to EFI, if i'm using a 240Z or 260Z, right?).

as for the tranny, i would be going from a 4spd to a 5spd (i just much rather prefer a 5spd. 4spds just don't feel right to me, no offense.), and how hard would that be? i'd imagine not hard at all because i'd be switching out the entire tranny, but i just want to make sure.

also, i'd imagine that the swap is basically a direct bolt-in. it uses same mounts and everything, except for the wiring, right?

and my last question, how difficult is the wiring going to be? i want to see if i might be able to do this myself, or if i might have to get a bit of help on the wiring aspect of it all.

thanks.

If you are going throuh the trouble of doing a swap migh as well go with the ZXT engine. You will be very happy with it and there's plenty of room for HP upgrades down the road.

The swap is basically a bolt on. Yes you will run into some minor probles as is the case with any swap project. I bought a wrecked 280zxt for $600.00. Take evrything from the ZXT, engine, transmision, flow meter, wire harnes , ECU, and move it to your 240/260?.

Don't hurry it, Take your time. For me the wiring is the least fun part.

Most basic L28 swaps into 240Zs use the 240's SU carbs (not the '73 flat-tops!). That's the easiest way to do it, for sure. Zero wiring worries. 5-speed is highly recommended, the ratios are a lot closer than the 4-speed and you can run much shorter diff gearing. Be aware there's a big 2-3 gap in the 5-speeds thru 1979, and the '80+ ZX trannies have tall 1st and 5th gears. Something to consider, the '80+ 280ZX non-turbo blocks have flat-top pistons, so it's easy to get a decent compression ratio by swapping on a 280Z N42 or N47 head (easy way to get 9.8:1 CR), or shaving .080" off the 280ZX P79 head (shim cam towers and be aware of geometry and timing issues if you do this).

Guest Anonymous

the only reason i don't want to get the L28ET is because i'm looking to swap in an LT1, in the future. but if the going price for the L28ET is just as much of a steal as with the L28E, then might as well, right?

wiring is always the hardest part of the swap, i've seen some wiring done for the SR swap into the 240SX, along with stories of friends that have done the swap, and it's a huge PIA.

the only reason i don't want to go with the carbs is because i don't know **** about them. and from what i hear, they're a bit more costly to take care of. and seeing that i've been around EFI engines more and worked on those more, i'm more comfortable with that.

thanks for the info.