HybridZ

Homemade exhaust manifold

Drax240z

OK, sounds a little hokey... I'd guess not many have done this.

I've been reading "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell (Man this has to be THE best automotive related book I've read/seen) and in the book there is data on how to make your own turbo exhaust manifold using weld-els. Seems to me that it would be a lot of work, however, after hearing about people that have payed upwards of $2000 for a custom job, it may be worthwhile.

Has anyone ever attempted this? And if so, with what results? I've used weld-els a lot in industry, and my welding skills are up to the task.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

As I recall you're keeping the Datsun 6 right? If so I'd think usingmodifying the stock manifold would be the best way to go. I've not ever seen one myself but I'd think that it could probably be improved. If it's cast port it and then extrude it. If it's not cast then maybe cleaning up welds would be in order. You get the idea - do what was too much trouble for the factory. Heh, some OEMs are starting to use Extrude hone tho' :-)

However, if this is a non-stock type swap and manifolds aren't available... Well, as a mere mortal I wouldn't do it myself - I'd pay someone. However you say you've got the welding skills and have used the parts before so I guess that puts you above average human :-) How much is it likely to cost you if you try and fail? Even if it doesn't work out you'll still learn something right? So long as it's not likely to trash the car or completely empty your wallet I'd say go for it. Heh, and tell us all about it too :-)

Seriously, if there's a stock manifold how much effeciency do you think you'll pick up? How bad is the stock manifold? I know many turbo cars wind up ditching their stock manifolds since the factory usually does such a crappy job, I just didn't think the Z was all that bad and no one seems to have made an aftermarket one for the older cars that I know of...

Hmm, good points. I'd probably be best to check out if I need to re-invent the wheel before actually attempting it. :P

I've heard that extrude hone isn't so good on these manifolds (they are cast BTW) because there is a thin spot in the wall of #1, the obviously gets thinner as you extrude hone it.

As for using weld-els, they are pretty darn cheap. I'd probably just go with mild steel to start, and see what I could come up with. If it turned out well it could be ceramic coated afterwards. If it didn't turn out well I'd only be out a couple hundred bucks or less. (probably way less, but I'd being pessimistic)

Well I'll chalk this up as a "thing to look into". Going to post on zcar.com and see if I can get some of the hi-po turbo guys opinions.

------------------

Drax240z

What are "weld-els"? 90 degree pieces of tubing?

I have made custom headers before - for my street truck. Some serious space constraint issues (BB Ford429, MustangII susp, '55 F100) that forced me to take that route. Twice - first pair rusted out.

It was actually kind of fun. Like a 3d puzzle except you make the pieces instead of finding them. I started with J bends and used a tubing cutter.

I say go for it. There's (relatively) lots of room on the side of the Z engine. (Too bad it's not a crossflow head)

Take the stock manifold in to a machinist to have the flanges made based on the original from some good, thick steel. Buy the tubing, take lots of measurements.

One good trick is to use the tubing cutter to cut the sections which ends up sort of compressing the resulting end. Then on the mating tube's end use a tubing expander so that there's a slight overlap of metal and things fit together nicely.

Hey DRAX, I got your headers right here!!!

turbo-headers.jpg

On a more serious note, if you can make something like that, I want to talk to you about going into business. I have to agree with BLKMGK, how much would this cost and what is the gain? $1500 and 40hp? Lets say I am close. I would take half of that and invest it in a better turbo and I/C than you planned to get and match that power gain. Now you dont have to worry about one of the 40 or so welds cracking eek.gif

If you are serious about this kind of HP, then you had better be serious about the bottom-end of the L6 and that puts your budget in the range where you have other choices, LIKE A HYBRID biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Hehe, go scottie. I wouldn't be spending $1500 if I was doing this. I just wouldn't be willing to shell out that kind of dough for something like that, at least not right now. I'd much rather spend that money on the t3/t4 upgrade, SDS, or half a zillion other things...

But on the other hand IF I can make something like this, it will be fairly inexpensive. (using Weld-els) For anyones info: Weld Els are 90 degree elbows that are welded onto pipe, instead of threading and screwing them on.

"Maximum Boost" got me thinking anyway. I might give this project a try after I get my engine running. Might be a good money maker as Scottie pointed out...

------------------

Drax240z

Well, with all due respect to the guy who made the manifold in that picture - very impressive - a turbo manifold that I would make would not look anything like that.

I would prefer to get the lengths _approximately_ equal, without having tubing snaking around every which way. I think it can be done much more simply. Of course, I don't have a turbo engine (though I crave one), and I therefore don't plan on doing any of this stuff.

I would do it with J Bends as the starting raw material. You can get these (mandrel bent) for like $5 a piece from various header shops and suppliers.

Well the headers Scottie showed were from Rebello racing, I think there is a method to his madness . One thing to keep in mind is to keep lengths short, to retain heat this allows the turbo to work better . When welding on a flange warpage is a pain in the butt . Check out SDSEFI.com website it has how to do this project in more detail . Good luck !!