HybridZ

Q for the engineer types of this board

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a question that I know one of you guys can help me with. I have a 60 gal compressor that went tits up, now, my new one is also 60 gal and it has a max rating of 14cfm at 90 psi. If I pipe the old tank in to the system adding 60 gal of storage, will I lose any pressure or volume? thanks Tony

------------------

My Z is unfortunatly on the back burner,due to the shop,but not to much longer!! www.speedtechcoatings.com

I am not very technical but I did the same and the only diff. was my initial pumping time and recovery time was a little longer.

------------------

Drewz

Guest Anonymous

Obviously your volume will double, 120 > 60 smile.gif

It will take longer to pump the tanks up, but, conversly, it will also take longer to deplete them. You gain nothing other than having your compressor run less frequently, but for longer periods of time. This could possibly overheat your compressor if you use the air heavily.....

I've found that the best thing you can do is to use larger air hose than the gimpy stuff that comes with most compressors. You'll notice lots more power in your air tools with a bigger hose usually.

------------------

Morgan morgan@z31.com

http://carfiche.com

http://z31.com

What Morgan said. I'd worry about letting my cheap (wished I'd never bought it) Craftsman 6 hp 60 gallon "oilless" compressor running any longer than what it takes to fill the 60 gallon tank to 120psi. After about 70psi, it starts really making the air hot.

For the kind of stuff you are doing, I'd look to nothing less than a double stage compressor, and I'd put a heat exchanger between the compressor and the tank.