HybridZ

speed sensors

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'll keep this as short as possible and spare everybody the details of my project.

Before I go to the trouble of testing this myself......

Is there anyone out their who can tell me the output form (square wave, sin wave etc) of a late model Ford T5 vehicle speed sensor located on the output shaft of the transmission? and pulses per mile. I have the trans already and need to determine if this VSS output can be recognized recognized by my EEC-IV ECM which a VSS mounted on the speedometer cable. I know this is a stretch but this is one of my last issues to resolve at this point of my project.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Spillar:

Is there anyone out their who can tell me the output form (square wave, sin wave etc) of a late model Ford T5 vehicle speed sensor located on the output shaft of the transmission? and pulses per mile.

Brian...

If you can get the Ford part number, I can look up the engineering drawing for you - we have them online (I'm an engineer at Ford). The part number should look like:

xxxx-xx-xxxxx

------------------

the vss was used as input for egr control,canister purge,cruise control.if you are doing a z swap you dont neeed to hook it up but you will have trouble codes and it is better not to have trouble codes(dtc in obd 2) in ecm.you can drive a electronic speedo like a automeeter unit from this to eliminate speedo cable.the speed the ecm sees wont really have much of an effect on it.it mostly just looks for open input circuits.i work as a tech at a ford dealer-the techs always wonder about the engineers and why they design vehicles to be so hard to work on-like the new f-series trucks with engines 1/2 under the dash board.and who writes the warrenty time standards?

quote:

Originally posted by randy 77zt:

i work as a tech at a ford dealer-the techs always wonder about the engineers and why they design vehicles to be so hard to work on-like the new f-series trucks with engines 1/2 under the dash board.and who writes the warrenty time standards?

Time standards and the service manuals are done by the Parts and Service division, NOT engineering (just to defend myself a little). We didn't get to review the service manuals for the system I worked on until very late (at least we got to review them, I guess). When we complained that there was no reference drawing to tell the tech where connectors/parts for the system were located in the vehicle, we were told that the techs were 'specially trained', and didn't need such references, so these were deleted to keep the page count down. Hmmm... page count on a cdrom....

Anyway, we're not all idiots - and we do try, well at least dome of us do...

..I'll agree that most engineers try. Wether their voice is heard from upper managment or not, is a whole 'nother story.

Randy, I've worked out of some TSM's before and I'll have to agree... the numbers are a joke.

Oh by the way Tim, I work as a Software Engineer at the Lear Corporation at Southfield and Ford (across from the Mustang Bar... everyone seems to know where that place is rolleyes.gif and live at Rotunda and Greenfield.

-Andy

[This message has been edited by Andrew Bayley (edited December 04, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by randy 77zt:

the vss was used as input for egr control,canister purge,cruise control.

For those interested in my project background, see my post in 'What's your project'.

My concerns surronunding the VSS are based on various scraps of information, the validity of which are unknown: 1)I am trying to remain emmisions compliant at least at the tailpipe and have heard that I can not do so without a correctly operating VSS. 2) Fuel economy will suffer. 3)Engine may stall during deceleration (SVO techline).

As always, any further info. will be greatly appreciated.

Brian is right - the VSS on a MAF equipped car does more than control emissions. The stalling issue is one, weirdo stuff with the ignition curve is a possible "other". SOME but NOT all MAP to MAF conversion kits tell you to run a wire to the fuel pump relay under the driver's seat and to the VSS. Failure to do the VSS mod can lead to some pretty funky problems. IF you use the SVO harness instead of one of these wire it yourself type deals you won't have problems. I stupidly gave away my MAF conversion when I went to DFI, when I went back I went cheap and as a result had to do the weirdo wire runs to the VSS and fuel pump relay (grr).

You using a conversion harness or a stock Ford harness? EECIV right? MAF? If it's MAP you shouldn't need the VSS as MAP equipped cars that didn't have cruise didn't have the VSS I'm nearly positive. I'd go MAF though smile.gif