HybridZ

Performance Meter

clint78z

Morgan, thanks! I remember the Home Dyno from years back, glad to see they have a way around tape recorders, .WAV files, cleaning up the files, etc.

Talk about correction to the calibration of your pant's seat wink.gif.

I can see this as a new toy to have. Lord knows my finicky Turbo Eclipse could use it too.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

If you have a G-tech or some other acceleration based performance meter, you should be able to get hp/torque graphs with the help of a camcorder.

Use a camcorder to record HP from the G-tech and RPM from the tach simultaneously during a run. Enter hp and rpm as 2 columns in Excel or some other spreadsheet program. Divide hp by RPM and multiply by some conversion factor to compute torque from your existing data, and plot your graphs.

You could also record G's and RPM's and do a little more math. I think the result would be better because the G-tech would give you more data at launch that way. You could also start recording from a roll in a high gear to get more data points.

This is a stupid question, but from looking at their website, it's unclear to me: Does this Road Dyno have an accelerometer in it? They claim that their software only solution produces the exact same results - clearly that has no accelerometer.

They don't mention how they are getting mile per hour figures for either the Home Dyno or the Road Dyno.

Unless I am gravely misunderstanding something, it seems as though there is a great deal of extrapolation (or worse) with this device/technique.

I think it works by measuring engine velocity (RPM's) and time. It then converts that into car velocity by taking into account your rear end ratio, tranny ratio, and tire size.

It doesn't measure acceleration of your car directly, but computes it from the rate of change in engine rpm's. I think it should be accurate for dyno purposes, but would be thrown off by wheelspin. An accelerometer should give you better results for 0-60/1/4mi times.

Come to think of it, you could do the same thing as Road Dyno by simply videotaping your tachometer. And no, I don't have anything for camcorders smile.gif

The Road Dyno looks like a better tool for measuring engine performance than a Gtech, but you wouldn't get the fun of clocking all your friends'/familys'/dealers'/rental cars, or do the skidpad.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

hey guys, all these things look great. I am still confused about the home dyno or whatever. it sounds like it could work as a baseline even though it may not be accurate and then you could derive yourr hp gains from your baseline runs, right? If it is accurate that is. Since it is software, is there a way someone could send me a copy to look how it works? It may be worth a shot. Thanks

Scott

Scrap another "original" idea, I was thinking of making a low dollar horsepower measuring device using tach signal as input. This device should work well at higher speeds where wheel spin is not a problem. Accelerometer based systems are more accurate and allow measurement of cornering and braking forces. I think for the money the G-tech pro gives you more. On the other hand, if you tap into the accelerometer on the G-tech and build a data logging system for your lap top...

Perry