HybridZ

Brake Splitter and Proportioning Valve questions

I am about to upgrade the brakes on my 78 2+2. I have researched this question but haven't found a straight answer. When it comes to the splitter on the drivers fender wall and the proportioning valve on the firewall I want to replace/upgrade them due to age and the fact that everything else will be upgraded. I have seen some people put the proportioning valve in place of the splitter. Some have done away with the splitter and gone from the M/C directly to the front brakes and used a proportioning valve just for the rear. What's the difference and is one set up better than the other? I have the Wilwood M\C, Toyota front brake setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The splitter is primarily an electrical switch for the warning light. Its only other function is a tee-block for the front brake line to go to the right front wheel. If you do not need/want the warning light function you can replace it with a small tee-block for the front brakes only.

Since you have changed the front brakes you should replace the stock proportioning valve with an adjustable type. The Wilwood part mentioned above is nice as it includes the tee-block. If you retain the splitter you can use this proportioning valve: http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-8419

The proportion valve will really only be functional if you install rear brakes that work really well-essentially as well as the fronts. After 25 years of Z ownership, I only recently had rear brake lockup issues after I did the AZC front and rear kit and installed racing quality pads. Then I went to a road course with an instructor. As the pads got hotter, they became more efficient faster than my tires. So I had to reduce rear brake pressure using the proportion valve. Once the tires got hotter and stickier, I could tolerate more rear brake without rear lockup. We were practicing late-braking into corners and I kinda sucked at it and had a tendency to panic and apply too much initial pedal. It was only under these circumstances that I used my proportion valve, I really didnt néed it for street driving. I'm glad I installed it where I could easily reach it fr the drivers seat with the belts cinched tight.

Edited by RebekahsZ