HybridZ

1984 700R4 connector pinout

Guest kc6wfs

Question..

I have a 1984 700R4 installed in my Z and I do not have the 4 pin conector wired up.

1)

How can I tell if I have a lockup converter.

2)

Will any harm be done without hooking up the connector?

3)

What is the wiring diagram for the connector?

I have yet to get the car into 4th as the exhaust is not done yet.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Guest Anonymous

The lockup can be manually wired by using a normally open, single throw toggle switch wired to connectors A and D. Doing so allows lockup at any speed, just remember to unlock it at a stop, as it apparently will take off, but shudder and shake and not give you the torque multiplication like you need to get rolling. As far as telling if its a lockup, I can't tell you, you may want to get with your vendor and ask, thats all I can think of, I'm sure a tranny guy could tell you for sure. The advantage of using it, is it almost could be considered another gear as the small amount of slipperage is eliminated. It essentially gives you a total locked up 1:1 ratio with the engine just like a manual trans.

Here is a picture of the stocking wiring of the tranny:

700wire.jpg

Regards, good luck.

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited December 28, 2000).]

Thanks a bunch Lone,

I'll call the guy I bought the trans from and see if it a lockup converter.

It kicks butt right now with nothing wired.

But is the lockup mainly to improve gas mileage?

Currious..

Also what are the other 2 pins for B and C??

Also.. (sorry) is it best to hook it up to the break switch?? What are the advantages if hooking it up to a toggle switch?

I'll be using it for street and strip.

It does have the mod for 4th upshift and also the pressure mod as well as extra clutchpacks, and other stuff.

Hope it holds up!!!

Thanks a major bunch!!!!

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Guest Anonymous

To be honest, I dont know what B and C do. They are not used in this instance, maybe the computer uses them, I'm not sure.

There no advantage of using a toggle outside of its easy to do. There is a kit from I think B & M or Hurst that actually hooks up to the speedometer cable and you can dial in the MPH for lockup.

Yeah, the lockup was originally intended to increase gas mileage. The big knock on them when they came out was they locked and unlocked and locked and unlocked and gave a noticible rocking chair motion at the slightest change in throttle pressure. I guess they fixed it later. It is a advantage when your cruising on the freeway.

GM wires it into the brake and also a vacuum switch to disengage it if you hit the brakes, or the vacuum changes (like letting off the gas). You could probably wire it into the brake switch and have the toggle switch in series so you could lock it and when the brakes were applied it would unlock it. You probably want to make sure that the connections going to the Transmission are just grounds and your not sending power to the A and D terminals. I havn't looked at the Datsun brake switch (outside of the one on the manual transmission pedals sitting in my room at the moment) but assume its in series open with power and by pushing the brake it closes the circuit and sends power to the brake lamps.

Here are some commercial lockup harnesses , they're both a tad pricey, but make the whole business easier to hook up. (I tried to link to it, but it wasn't having it.) Check www.jegs.com under transmission and you'll see the different harnesses.

Hope this helps,

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited December 28, 2000).]