HybridZ

1 wire Alternator

Guest 1z2c

Has anybody used the one wire alternator setup on a v8 conversion?

I would like to use this setup to get rid of some wiring.

It just seems simpler to hook one wire.

I haven't used one, but I've heard they don't turn on until the RPMs come up from idle.

Anyway, I actually went away from the 1-wire idea to put an idiot light for the alternator in the dash area. I wanted to know if I threw a belt or toasted the alternator. It's only one more wire, and you just run from +12V to the light bulb, then to the field connection on a regular internal regulator type alternator.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Hi,

I am using a 1 wire alt with no problems, Yet. I just connected it to the white/red(thick) wire when I did my JTR conversion. It is true that you have to bring the R's up to 2K before it starts charging but I have not found that to be a problem.

Hope this helps.

I have pics if it on my web site below.

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Guest Anonymous

I have found the high "cut-on" rpm to be a bit of a nuisance but I suppose that is all about what you want. I use a GM alt on my L6 and it was a little hesitant to come on at idle. After switching on, it keeps charging but barely. My voltage gauge reads very low until I get just above idle.

I bought a smaller pulley from March Performance. It will get those idle rpms up. It was approx. $40 and a special order from Summit or Jeg's.

Craig

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Since you brought it up ?? Which GM alternator can be adapted to thr I6? Also what mods are required to mount it?

Thanks Tim in Fla.