HybridZ

exhaust being done

Guest kc6wfs

revac, no problem - I just used the calculator on Windows to do that. I have a few old K&E slide rules around too, but I'm too lazy to get up and dig them out wink.gif.

Regards,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited March 27, 2001).]

Funny you guys mention slide rules. Sadly, I don't think I've ever even seen one!! (too young I guess)

The funny part is that I was sitting in class today, tuning out the lecture... and I thought to myself "I want to learn how to use a slide rule." Call me a glutton for punishment, but it interests me. Unfortunately I think I'll have trouble finding one... and finding someone to show me how to use it. The quest continues. smile.gif

------------------

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Jason

I was thinking of having a similar exhaust with 2 2.5" pipes collecting into a single 3" in back of the tranny. For mufflers, I plan on having 2 in series: a straight through muffler such as a Dynomax Ultraflow where the cat used to be, followed by a cheap turbo muffler in the back.

I hope this will be fairly quiet and unrestrictive. I think a dual 2.5" system with an H pipe and different sized mufflers would flow as well and be even more quiet, but I am on a budget.

Does anyone know an inexpensive place to purchase 3" exhaust tubing and mandrel bends? Are Summit and JcWhitney good sources? I haven't found any local auto parts stores that carry mandrel bends.

Drax, the old K&E's go for big bucks on ebay. I'm holding on to mine for the kids college education fund wink.gif.

Jason, try calling Jegs or Summit. They cand get stuff that's not in their catalogs. Many times they just don't advertise some parts because demand is low. For instance, I bet Hooker has 3" mandrel bends, just not in those catalogs - but they could get it easy.

Guest Anonymous

I bought some of JC Whitneys mandrel bends a number of years ago to make an exhaust modification and the quality seemed pretty good. The problem is waiting the 2-4 weeks for them to get off it and ship it. I'd try to find a local bender with a mandrel bender and get the exact bends you want. Sometimes, though, they say that don't have the correct tooling on the machine right now and you need to come back when they do.

About slide rules, I had to learn to use one in college (in the '80's) when the engineering frat I was becoming a member of (Triangle) required it. I used my dad's bamboo 12 incher.

Ooh, Revac, it's so.... BIG! wink.gif

Drax, if you're in the mood for some self-humiliation, try to teach yourself how to use a slide rule. I've got a measured IQ of 153, and I couldn't even discover where to put the batteries! Seriously, I asked one of my best friends, an engineer from the "old school" to show me how to use one, and he proudly dug out his leather-holstered relic and proceeded to whip it back and forth, spewing mathematical Greek all the while. Then he looked up at me and said, "Okay, you get it?" Uh... Yeah... right... It's definitely a skill.

Scott Ferguson

IQ means NOTHING! Brains is where it's at!

I totally agree with your last statement!! I've seen some terribly intelligent people do some terribly stupid things. Book-smart is one thing, life-smart is quite another.

I wonder where I can find a slide rule...

------------------

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers