HybridZ

Thoughts on this hard line tubing and nut fitting..

Hello everyone, I just want to know everyone's thoughts on this hard brake line that I got off of a local parts store. I recently replaced my brake line hoses to stainless steel braided brake line hoses front and rear. During the process of removing the rear driver side brake line hose I destroyed the nut fitting on the hard line. I purchased a 3/16 size hard line about 40 inches long. When I thread the nut on either the ss braided hose or pressure regulating valve, there is play until it is tight.

I'm curious if this is okay and will it leak. The hard line is copper and it is easy to bend. It's made my NiCopp brake lines.

Thanks in advance

Ernie

post-16326-0-39094900-1421997889_thumb.jpg

post-16326-0-30579100-1421997913_thumb.jpg

Assuming you got the correct 10 x 1mm threaded nut on that hard line, and not the very very close (and slightly smaller OD) 3/8-24 SAE nut, then it having some play until it's tight is normal.

The threads have nothing to do with the seal, its the female cone at the end of the line, that mates metal to metal with the male matching cone in the caliper that creates the seal. The nut just provides the push to press them together.

Double check those thread dimensions though, proper 10x1 really has no play in the nut as you thread it in.

Edited by z240

Assuming you got the correct 10 x 1mm threaded nut on that hard line, and not the very very close (and slightly smaller OD) 3/8-24 SAE nut, then it having some play until it's tight is normal.

The threads have nothing to do with the seal, its the female cone at the end of the line, that mates metal to metal with the male matching cone in the caliper that creates the seal. The nut just provides the push to press them together.

Double check those thread dimensions though, proper 10x1 really has no play in the nut as you thread it in.

z240,  thanks for explaining this.  I did get the 3/8-24 nut fitting thats why it had play but i should be good since I can tighten it pretty good.

I know its tempting to keep that in there, but I HIGHLY recommend you replace that line with the correct line nut size ASAP!!! 

Brakes are not something you want to loose when driving. It will happen fast and you take the lives of others in your hands with this decision.  This is WAY too important to take short cuts here!

Edited by z240