HybridZ

cowl hood

Guest zfan

Guest Anonymous

J.c whitney carries a 2" rise cowl hood completely fibreglass that works and looks good. I've used about 20 of them on v-8 swaps using small blk chevy's with hi-rise intakes over the past 20 years. Price is around 350.00 last I checked

------------------

Thanks for the pic BLKMGK! If their was one local I'd likely snap it up but shipping will take me for a lot.

Zfan & others: did you install the xmember to frame spacers? I'm not sure how tall the rpm-airgap is but I know my 280ZX is more 'vertically' challenged for clearance than 'normal' Z JTR setups. I'm just finishing some 1-1/16" xmember/frame spacers and ~1"strut spacers that should allow me to run a 3" air cleaner and 1/2-3/4" spacer on my Victor Jr. intake (single plane rpm basically, I didn't need any more torque but really like the top end of a single plane wiht my combo (had a dual plane for a while). It'd be great for us to document vertical clearance/hood results with specific combos as this is often something others leave till the last that gets sacrifificed with inferior air cleaner heights etc.

I'm looking for something similar to the SUBTLE-Z hood at 1" or so height, but will likely have it made local (Z06's breathe through a 7"x2" narrowing of their intake setup for reference). If I did do it I'd seal it to my aircleaner to truly get cold air as this is what I see as it's advantage. Mixing it with engine bay air at lower speeds just negates cold air intake and that's 5% power I'd like to hang onto:-) Engine bay heat hasn't been a problem in my 5 yrs running to date, but it is extracted somewhat out my 'normal' 280ZXT ducts.

Hi Ross,

I have the spacers and was going to wait till I saw if I needed then.

My hood latch is hitting on the HEI and keeping the hood from closing by about 1 1/2". I don't think the spacers will solve my problem. I still don't plan on installing them. I am thinking of moving the hood latch off center to the drivers side about 4".

What do you think??

Dave Booth

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

Ross, for your documentation purposes:

On my 240Z with JTR mounts, I left out the frame to crossmember spacers (for u-joint angle reasons - see my page if interested)

With a Holley 300-36 (contender, street dominator, etc.) high rise dual plane intake, 750 vac sec 3310 Holley, and 14" Moroso drop base air cleaner w/ 3" element, I have 1/2" clearance at the tightest spot (near front of air cleaner, where the hood hump disappears on each side).

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

quote:

Originally posted by kc6wfs:

Hi Ross,

I have the spacers and was going to wait till I saw if I needed then.

Dave Booth

is your latch modified as per JTR and still interfering? If so how far fwd does your engine/HEI have to go to clear? If not why not (it's a one time mod that simplifies the rest or so most have said/not req'd on my ZX though).

Pete, I'd be beaming with 1/2" hood clearance, I've never had more than a 1/4" and more often closer to an 1/8". If I had 1/2" I'd be seeing if it's any more than that and putting a 3/16's phenolic or similar spacer under your carb to max the top end...I use a simple 'roll' of clay on top of my air cleaner with paper on either end to check hood clearance BTW. We're so overwhelmed with torque on the bottom I think the Vic. Jr. is misthought of as a race only intake. I was hesitant to change to it but killing any bottom end is helpful in my case (and it sure didnt' kill much). That brake creep/bottom end roast on a throttle twitch is useless to me and annoying. I can see 3/4 throttle etc, but a quick twitch and light up?? Anyhow....My halfshafts have stood up v. well (I'm not by nature one to smash shockloads into my setup at the light; I preload if necessary and save the parts...that's why some LT1 OEM camaro's can run into 11's on stock diff and some can't hit 12's without blowing them up all day long) and my geometry is not ideal and power is plenty so I'm working on getting cooler air in and creating excess room for my proflo so I can run it with a good filter and phenolic carb spacer I have which neccessitate the xmember/strut spacers.

FWIW, their's an old style Vic. Jr. on ebay right now which I'd snap up if I didn't have the proflo. They've dyno'd BETTER than the new ones. The new ones you could bolt on a normal truck and they'd work says a local engine building guru (new ones were made more streetable).

just my .02c Canadian and worth what you paid for it;^)

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Speaking of foam - some of us were talking about this after one of the latest Sport and Compact mags used this to stiffen thier 300ZX. I noticed that VR's site sells a structural foam so if anyone is looking around for it this is a potential source...

Hey BLKMJK,

Nice hood! I like your cowl induction hood. What coor is that? It almost looks like a salmon color from my monitor.

And while we're on the subject of hoods, get a load of Terry Oxandale's (BlueovalZ) GT-40 style hood in the featured cars section. Waaaay Baaaad! Too bad it's not available as a production piece--he fabbed that one himself!

Ross,

I was waiting till I got the hood on to do the mod to the latch. Now that it's on I can see that the safty latch hits the top of the HEI about 3/4" towards the firewall.

It prevents the hood from closing by 1 1/2" or so. I'm going to re-read the mod from the JTR book but I still don't think it will work.

Mainly I think it's from the Vortec heads. They are taller as well as the intake. 3/4" I think. But the dist it the same size as any 350 block.. who knows what I did wrong. booo.

I'm almost 1 week away from getting the exhaust done.. Jan 6th!! Took it out today and warmed the tires again.. Fun!!

I'll re-read the JTR on the latch and see if I missed anything..

Thanks.

Dave

------------------

Hi again Ross,

Well just re-read the JTR book on the hood latch bracket and.. I got mud on my face.. hehe

Gosh I got to start reading into stuff less.

I thought the emergancy catch was staying on there, but looks like it gets one out of a 280z. Not sure what the differance is but I'm sure it will clear now.!!!

I'll pull the dist and cowl tomarrow and get it all installed and let you know.

Thanks..

Dave Booth

------------------

Glad you got that sorted Dave. FWIW, if you can use a 'standard' HEI dizzy then your intake dizzy boss is at same height as all others...(the dizzy shafts never changed in length etc) so therefore dizzy is in same locale as all others.

Some numbers I should hang onto and add to as I have other intakes/carbs so builders can learn the possible combos....

UPS showed up today:-) Unwrapped the proflo, some quick measurements:

7-5/8" from v. bottom/base of Vic. Jr to top of TB flange on pro flo setup

-on my vic. Jr. to top of my 1406 edelbrock carb air cleaner flange is also 7-5/8's but my setup includes 1/4" of spacer/insulater gaskets

So where is the thinner TB or pro flo clearance lost? in vic. jr. 'spacer' mostly...

-in comparing intakes my 'short' 2975 Vic. jr. has a 5/8" vertical lip to base of carb (reason I wanted to fit a spacer in their for min. 1" from prior dyno data etc), whereas the proflo vic. jr. is based on their unit with a taller base which has a 1-1/2" vertical lip at base of carb so this encouraged me that I won't need as much spacer as I'd wanted so the 1-3/16's xmember/hood clearance gained will all go to more air cleaner room which I"ll need as I don't think drop down will clear this TB near as smooth as the 1406 so will likely need a bit of a 'lift'

-measured up my spacers and they're currently 1-3/16's for Xmember/frame and 15/16's of an inch for strut spacers.....xmember as I had stock over 1" but much thicker seemed excessive so used the 1-3/16's stock....15/16's as my control arms aren't yet horizonatal (still slope down from centre/outward) so will see how it all settles out....hope to get another 1"+ hood clearance from oilpan mod/mount alterations

PS not excited about cutting a huge hole in my firewall to fit that 'large' proflo wiring end plug/harness thru....trying to see past that..(and not wanting to do a full resplice)

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Speedracer,

Great car, but I've got to know where or how you got those valve covers? Those caught my eye since a while back, I was looking and found nothing to get excited about. Any information on how or where would be appreciated. If you want, you can Email me at

c4xtrem@linkline.com

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Here's a different hood design, I think it's molded from a 427 vette or something. I bought the car with this on it and haven't seen one since! here's an idea anyway. Oh, anyone with info on where this hood came from please let me know, I'd like to see what else they have.Marks 350Z8 icon_cool.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, thats a L88 Vette hood scoop (cowl?). I was wondering how that would look on the Z, I was looking at them on the internet, looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Lone