HybridZ

Needs some information for an ls1/t56 swap

Hey guys im new to the forum! Ive been doing a lot of research lately on swapping an ls1 with a t56 transmission into either a 240 or a 280 Datsun. From what I have found this engine/transmission swap is pretty easy compared to other cars. My issue is that I have been unable to find a good website for parts. I have been able to find engine/transmission mounts, but have not been able to find a driveshaft, wiring harness, exhaust piping. Do any of you know of a website that offers these parts, or datsun 240/280 engine swap parts in general? Lastly, are there any other major parts that I will need for this kind of swap? I would like to say thank you in advance!

Johns Cars http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm( who does the engine/tranny mounts also will build you a driveshaft. There's other vendors who do the same thing but most people use him for the mounts. Many others may be able to build you a driveshaft depending on your wants.

You just need a LSx wiring harness. Probably best to buy a standalone one. I'm not aware of a 'plug and play' one that just plugs into the Z harness but there's not a lot of connections to figure out.

Any muffler shop can do your exhaust. You'll want to get proven exhaust headers that fit in the swap.  Then once it all works and runs take it to the exhaust shop.

You'll want to read some of the build threads here to see more what you're getting into. There's a decent pinned one at the top of the page. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57523-my-complete-ls1-install-documemtation-with-pics/

Edited by Aero Z

ChevyThunder.com is a great place to get a standalone harness for a LSx motor. I currently have a harness on order from him now. Others include speartech.com and pciconversions.com

Drive shafts.. The only person offering driveshafts with their mounts is JCI. Everyone else's mount's expect you to have your driveshaft shortened/lengthened as needed with the correct yolks. As like Aero Z said exhaust is always going to be a custom job and any exhaust/muffler shop should be able to make you one.

there are going to be a lot of side things you will need to get. The above link to the build has a pdf on second to last page with almost all the parts you'll have to order, which include a new idler pulley, belt, clutch adaptor, clutch line, new tilton 7/8 master cylinder

Other things to note are walbro 255 fuel pump, corvette filter/regulator and all the necessary fuel lines.

With the standalone harness, it's almost plug n play. it runs off your starter/battery and when your chassis engages the starter and provides 12+ power the PCM powers up and runs all the necessary sensors to run the engine.

You will also want to upgrade your radiator to either a 4 core or buy an aluminum radiator off ebay/summit/jegs

If you already have your engine/trans I suggest you do a good once over on it before you drop it in. Right now is the best time to do any maintence to it to make sure it's in good running condition before you put it in unless of course you are buying a crate motor. Otherwise give the engine a good cleanup/once over for waterpump, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, clutch, and whatever else you might need to check. I also suggest you look at your slave cylinder in the t56 as mine had a worn out rubber seal allowing hydraulic fluid to spray out. Once you take your t56 off if the bottom of the inner bell housing is covered in grime, then your slave cylinder probably has leaked fluid. I would suggest buying a new one.

Edited by CableSrv