HybridZ

Cadillac Northstar in 280Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

Just a note to introduce myself and my project.

My original Z was a brand new 1968 1800 fairlady soft-top (I really loved that little car)that my little brother wrecked.

I now have a 1978 280Z that I've owned for about ten years. I bought it originally from a farmer where it had languished for a couple of years in his barn as a non-runner. I took it to a resto-shop here in Southern Illinois and they put it back to original stock. (except for a set of Mercedes full dish hubcaps that garnered a lot of quizzical looks)

My daughter drove it for about three years until it developed some injection problems. I spent about three months throwing money at the engine compartment until my daughter got frustrated and talked her mom out of a new Grand Prix. Dad inherited the Z and it disappeared into my shop, where it sat for about two more years. Last summer I finally got tired of tripping over the hulk trying to get to my tool box, so I took it to the same shop that had originally restored it.

My idea was to simply buy a new or rebuilt L28, drop it in and drive off. Well, , a funny thing happened on the way to the back door of the shop.

The preliminary inspection revealed that the time spent in the barn had finally come to the surface, as the entire undercarriage was rusted out. Floor, frame rails and everything. Sooo, out comes the engine/drive train and the work begins.

Once the new frame rails (extremely beefed up) were installed, attached to the rear running gear and all of the new suspension parts were in place, the engine compartment was painted.

It was about this time that someone came up with the idea of installing a Northstar into the Z. The shop owner had a six-speed corvette transmission that he thought would be slick, someone else had read where an S10 bell housing would bolt up. . . We were off to the races.

The Northstar is now in place (injectors reversed - in line fuel pump), bolted up to the Corvette transmission. Today it is in the electrical shop having the new factory wiring harness installed. We bought a 1988 300ZX turbo rear end that we intend to use in its entirety, brakes and all. The plan is to also use the 300Z front brakes.

This is not something that one would want to attempt without the services of a really good machine shop!

I was hoping for an August completion so I could take it to Hot August nights in Reno, but I am not holding my breath.

I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as it comes out of the electrical shop.

I think it will be unique. My idea is to have the only markings on the car be on the hood: A Cadillac emblem with the coat of arms removed and replaced with a "Z".

Best to all,

Ted

Guest JAMIE T

Welcome to HybridZ Ted, My Northstar is still on its pallet on the garage floor. I am very happy to here that some one else is doing this. I can't wait to see pictures(Make'em high quality so we can see all of the gritty details) The DEATHSTAR is envious!!!

Jamie'

Project Deathstar

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

welcome to the forum, Im sure you'll like it here icon_smile.gif and like the guys said throw some pics our wau when you get a chance. it is always cool to see new ideas for the Z cars.