HybridZ

GAS Tank

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got the gas tank out my 74Z since the outlet was plugged. I was wondering if there are any differences between 74-78Z gas tanks? IE baffleing that would make one better for my application - 350 TPI, or if newer tanks will even fit? Thanks.

I think the 75-76 280Z one is baffled for EFI, that's what I have for my 383SBC TPI setup. The later tanks do not bolt right in from what I heard. Don't rule out the fuel cells either.

I got my tank from Randy and then had it coated with Gas Tank Renu, forgot what their web address was.

Owen

Hey Mike,

Did you weld this yourself or have it done. I know I have to completely dry out and evaporate the tank before attempting any welding on it, but a sump like you have is what I want someday.

Do you have any pix?

Owen

Have the tank boiled at a radiator shop before welding on it. Gas VAPORS are far more dangerous than the liquid itself. In fact if you get gas cold enough to NOT give off vapor you can extinguish a match in it without an explosion.

Don't take any chances - have it run through a solution to remove all traces of gas. I cannot imagine any welder with an ounce of sanity working on it otherwise. The shop I hang out at ALWAYS has them boiled. I've had a tank sitting out for a year that still has some fumes (smell) in it - go figure.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking around for another fuel tank and looking into fuel cells. I have a GTO kit I'm in the middle of fitting and realized I won't be able to get a stock tank out once its installed.

Guest Anonymous

I think I agree with Jim. Its worth a few bucks to take it to a radiator shop (many do gas tanks as well) or specialty welding shop that can do the fuel tank welding and put the sump in, I've seen them in like Summit and Jegs. Besides being potentially deadly, as you know there is probably nothing as painful as being severely burned, it just ain't worth it. (See the Richard Pryor stand up video where he talks about 'Gonna wash ya rich') after he lit himself on fire with that rum. Anyway, just say no to gas tank welding... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Mike KZ,

May I ask what type of rear suspension you have on that live axle in back? 4 link or ladder? Thats a great looking car btw.

Regards,

Lone

Thanks Lone, It's a Street/Strip suspension that I bought from Jeg's. It's very low profile so it dosen't hang down very far. They look like ladder bars but in street mode the right bar is ridged and the left bar pivots like a suspension link, giving you good take off without wheel hop, and lets you lean into corners without the stiff feeling of a ladder or 4 link. In strip mode you put in a large bolt on the pivot side, which makes it ridged also, now you have ladder bars. I haven't seen them in the latest Jeg's catelog so I'm not sure they still make them. They were called S/S bars by Jegster