HybridZ

Anyone used Dura-fix before?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone used that aluminum braze/welding system called Dura-Fix before? I have a design in mind for some sheetmetal aluminum pieces that will require welding a seam. I could get my oxy-acet system hooked up, but that'll cost me bottles, flux and rod + time and patience learning to gas weld aluminum. Tig is obviously the best choice, but I can't afford 1700 bones right now for one, and would prefer to do the welding/brazing myself instead of hiring it out. The components I want to make will see some boost (maybe to 20lbs eventually) and some under hood heat, but thats about it.

Anyone used the product on sheet aluminum? I've seen some pretty good demo's on thicker stuff. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

Has anyone used that aluminum braze/welding system called Dura-Fix before? I have a design in mind for some sheetmetal aluminum pieces that will require welding a seam.

Hell, Jim, what kind of redneck are you?!? Just use some pop rivets and duct tape.

Oh, wait - you're from the People's Republic of California - that explains it. icon_wink.gif

*burp*

Scott "tongue firmly in cheek" Ferguson

Podunk, Texas

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: RPMS ]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I've been called worse. I'm no redneck, white trash perhaps, but redneck, nah. icon_smile.gif

Update: For those who wondered or cared, I received a Email back from Durafix on the product. Apparently it can be ground, sanded and it buffs out like aluminum. The guy is sending me some pictures of some aluminum manifold work done with the stuff.

The stuff uses a regular blow torch (722 degs required) and is brushed with a stainless brush, heated and then rubbed into the joint. The website is: www.durafix.com . Apparently from they're disclosure of strength test, its stronger than the parent metal.

I'll probably be ordering some and will give a full review on it when I get it.

This could be just the ticket for welding in bungs for injectors on a aluminum manifold. More reported when I know more.

Regards,

Lone

John, if duct-tape is a redneck's best friend, then JB weld is mine! (I'm not really white trash, but I'm no longer a Yuppie either...hmmm...ah, I'm a Gen Xer!) I also have used the stuff on MANY repairs. I like the way it works, but I hate the way it smells. The issue that I have with JB Weld is that it can be machined and painted, but not buffed like Dura-fix can. Both have great benefits though. icon_smile.gif

FYI, Lone, you are not white trash, just a Baby Boomer! Sounds better, eh? icon_smile.gif

Davy

• 1 month later...
Guest Glenn Parker

Hey lone, I have a tig and live down the road in Martinez. If you need some aluminum put together just bring it by or E-mail me PARKRUN1@att.net I also want to know if you came up with a quieter exhaust set up. I am considering something inline before the muffler, maybe even glasspack style tubes. any thoughts?

Guest Anonymous

Appreciate that alot Glenn, I may just have to look you up some time. Tig welds are just so beautiful. Someday... Anyway, thanks for that offer!

On the exhaust, no, not yet, I'm still going to work on that sometime. Its actually not terribly loud, but noticiable, its a deep sound. (heh, sounds like your average redneck truck with a camper... icon_smile.gif ). I think you have the idea right though, an additional one in the tunnel would help considerably. I think (and I'm obviously no acoustic engineer) it just gets to resonating that long bit of big pipe and thats what is noticable inside the car.

The inliners knew about that for years, changing to like 2.25" (instead of say 2.5") pipe with a extra resonator (bullet muffler) helped them with that pesky Z resonation at cruise RPM. We have a bit more flow so we're kinda up against the same problem, but worse. I'm sure an extra one in the tunnel will help though.

Regards,

Lone

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]