HybridZ

High Tech FSAE Stuff... Making your own V8

Drax240z

As some of you know, I am invovled with my universities Formula SAE program. This is the first time our university has been involved with the competition, so we have a pretty steep learning curve to overcome. (not to mention a huge need for sponsers, but thats another story)

To give you guys some idea, and also just for LCF (looks cool factor) of what we are up against, check this out.

The University of Western Washington decided that for the 2001 FSAE competition that they would make their own V8!! This was the first time this was attempted for this competition. Now the rules specify no greater than 610cc, and that all gasoline powered vehicles must breathe through a 20mm (about 3/4") intake restrictor. icon_eek.gif

Here are the specifics:

Fully Stressed Member

Configuration: Longitudinally Mounted

Displacement: 554cc

Valves: 32

Camshafts: 4 Chain Driven

Crank: 180 Degree Machined In-House

Connecting Rods: 7150 Aluminum

Bore & Stroke: Top Secret

Oiling System: 3 Stage Dry Sump

Engine Management: Haltech

Horsepower: Approximately 80HP

Redline: 16,000 RPM

Aluminum / Carbon Fiber / Kevlar Transaxle

Integral 6-speed Sequential Gearbox

Composite Drive Shaft

Integrated Suspension Mounts

Integrated Brakes

Weight: 131lbs

And finally some pictures:

drivetrain%20spread.jpg

oldmain%20rear.jpg

servicing%20clutch.jpg

My first thoughts: "We have to compete against THAT?" Yup, read it and weep. The good news (for the rest of us): These guys were so zealous in making this engine that they didn't read the rules clearly enough. Every car must be able to start on its own power. Theirs couldn't, and as a result they scored 0 points in the autocross, endurance race and skidpad tests. Big OOPS!

Just goes to show you that not much can stop a bunch of engineers once they get an idea in their heads. icon_smile.gif Hope you enjoyed this.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Drax240z ]

WOW! I bet those students didn't take ANY other courses that semester!

Incredible. Seems like overkill to me though! Why not a 4 cyl?

Is that a carbon fiber wrap on that transaxle, or is the entire case (except the bolting flanges) CF?

Pete I think the whole case is CF.

They managed to get 90% of their peak torque available from 4000-16000rpm. WOW. Our car will be using a 4 cylinder, Suzuki GSXR 600cc. Nothing done on the engine yet, but I hope to get an SDS system for it. (I'd love to turbo it too, but I'm not sure I can convince everyone else)

Guest Anonymous

Richard,

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Man I had no idea the lengths some go in that competition. That is a fabulous engine they put together, to bad they didn't think about putting in starter mounts and a starter though... icon_smile.gif. Thats really neat, those cars have to be a absolute gas to drive. Kinda like Junkyard wars, but with alot more time, equipment and money... icon_smile.gif

Your schools car should do well with the 600cc engine, they have HP up the butt as you no doubt know and should fire that little car down the track REAL good. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Well some of the performace numbers I've seen for these cars... 0-60mph under 4 seconds. Topspeed 125mph. Skidpad 1.1g.

Generally you're looking at 60-70hp in a 500lb car. Some cars are as light as 380lbs! (all dry weights, no driver)

Just imagine how fast these could (will.. hehe) be without the 20mm intake restrictor. icon_eek.gif

Hell yeah! I'm one of 5 or 6 core members on this project. I believe my job will be test driving mostly, due to the fact that I am by far the largest person we have, and if its gonna break, it'll break with me driving.

Basically for the competition we need 4 drivers. We are going to hold tryouts, and the 4 fastest people will be driving, regardless of size, weight etc. We do have 2 people that have raced formula fords, so that should be a nice anchor. icon_smile.gif Also we are hoping to race this car in SCCA autocrosses in april before the competition. Should be a blast.

Nothing like a Jixxer motor in a small vehicle. If you can turbo it, do it for the oooh & ahhh factor. That would be too cool! Not to mention fast...

Have a great time Richard and enjoy the driving competition too. You'll kick some serious behind..or is that you'll seriously kick some behind? Whatever, have fun. icon_smile.gif

Davy

Wow, imagine the serious vaccuum on the other side of that restrictor with a nasty supercharger on it! I think I'd go super over turbo as the restriction would hurt the turbo more I think. I can just imagine the exhaust temps climbing as the turbo fought to suck air through the restrictor... icon_eek.gif

• 3 months later...
Guest zthang43

Yeah those FSAE cars are pretty trick. My team (Kettering University) had a 380 lb. car the last year I participated (2000 or '99, can't remember). The dyno showed about 40hp, but we were just using a carbeuretor (helped us win the cost competition). With the original 4 carbs on the Ninja 600R motor though, the dyno said 105 hp. 3.6 lbs/hp minus driver made a wicked fast autocrosser.

We broke the shifter and overheated the motor though so we got disqualified during the endurance event. Doh!

Guest Anonymous

Check this page out, its Ron Champion's alloy Locost, its a inexpensive lotus 7 clone Ron developed and wrote a book about how to do it yourself, very cool. Very popular in england, he even has showrooms now in this country as well.

This little guys projected weight was 300 kg, it uses a Honda Fireblade 1000 (euro spec, probably 120 hp or so maybe more) cycle engine and tranny and a all alloy spaceframe. The steel version goes closer to 6-700 kg and some V8's have even been fitted (probably weighed more, but I'm sure they were using the Rover/Buick/Pontiac/Olds aluminum V8)..

How cool is that for autocross/hillclimb racing?

http://www.ronchampion.com/alloy_chassis.htm

icon_cool.gif

Regards,

Lone

Pretty neat stuff Lone! I read in a recent issue of racecar engineering about an ex lotus engineer that build a hillclimb car very similar to a FSAE car. Only he used a 1100cc engine and didn't have to deal with any intake restrictors. I believe the output was nearly 200hp, and the car weighed 208kg. icon_eek.gif

FSAE cars see from 60-80hp even through that 20mm restrictor, and weight as little as 380lbs. Thats still wickedly fast! Potentially 4.75lb/hp... And people wonder why I cringe when they say 'nice go cart'. Ya, go kart with more power than your civic! Anyway, we plan on testing without restrictor, which should net use close to 120hp out of our 600cc GSXR... icon_biggrin.gif