HybridZ

New and just wanted to say Hi!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been reading posts for a while now (about a month on and off), doing research and trying to figure out what I'm gonna do...

Anyways. I have finally decided on the SBC swap. Yay! I am going to pick up the engine on Dec. 1st. It is an LT1 out of a 95 Camaro. Included is the engine computer manifolds wiring harness, EFI setup, everything, including air conditioning setup and all engine accessories with serpentine setup. He was going to include the Alum' radiator but found it was damaged beyond repair, as he was selling the engine because the car had been wrecked. For this I am paying $1500. I think I got a pretty good deal, what do you guys think? He said anything else I wanted off the car that was salvagable I could have, can you guys think of anything I should ask for?

Second I have a T56 Lined up for $900 from a friend. This is including everything from master & slave cyl., clutch, pressureplate, flywheel throwout bearing and all linkage. Plus The bellhousing has been polished as it was going to go in a hotrod, neat but I dont think you'll really see it. The best part is, the tranny only has either 200 or 2000 miles on it, I can't remember which, but either one is pretty low. I think that was a pretty good deal too!

Third... the best deal of all! The Car! Picked this up for a hefty Nothing! That's right, nothing, great shape, disassembled, but mostly there... free. I don't think you can beat that price icon_smile.gif

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do in terms of suspension yet...

Well, that's where I'm at right now. I'm trying to find a suitable garage to work on it, as mine is filled with my Dad's Mopars. I got the mopar bug too, but couldn't resist the simplicity of the SBC.

Sorry it got kinda long. I'll have fun putting this thing together, and from the look of the board I'll have lots of help when I come to the inevitable police baracades in the project... Oops, those come after the car is done icon_smile.gif

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Fast... I already am the envy of the few friends who know icon_smile.gif They hate it, but I love it so very much!

Nion, Where in san diego do you live? Just curious, I might start going to some of the ZCSD meetings in el cajon, do you ever go to those?

Davy, I have yet to purchase the JTR manual, though I have read a friends 3 times through now icon_smile.gif I do need to buy it now that I am getting started though...

Read read read, that's all I do is read this forum... oh well, Z's are a passion, even at a young age. My dad tells me I used to say "Dad, that's neat what is it?" and he'd say "it's a Z, Your mom and I both used to have those" to which the reply was simply... "WWWwwwwooooowwww!" Now I have a zx daily driver and the project 77 icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the encouragement and confirmation on the good deals icon_smile.gif

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Mike kZ,

He's had it sittin' around for a few years now, so I should be ok, if not the friend I am buying it from know where there are some other ones pretty cheap, but I beleive it was from a 96 or a 97, cause he was gonna use it with an LT1 also.

Nion,

Me and my friend go down 52 and go through La Jolla all the time, then we usually take garnet all the way down to I think Mission bay drive? go left and go down to belmont, then take the 8 back from there, just driving, we end up down there about once a week usually, maybe more icon_smile.gif

Maybe some day if my Z is ever done we can get together and hang out. or maybe even before then.

Kris

Welcome aboard Kris!

Sounds like you have a very nice package in the making. It also sounds an awful lot like SuperDan's car, actually. Im sure you'll have a blast with it..and if you give me half a chance, SO WILL I! icon_biggrin.gif

Im also from San Diego..as is Superdan. So welcome aboard the local HybridZ crazy train! We're NUTS for V8-Z's in San Diego bonk.gif

Jason

Guest Anonymous

Jason,

Where abouts in San Diego? I get around a fair amount, and I would love to take a look at some more v8 z's, infact, I'd like to see as many as possible, more research the better!

As to the similarity issue... icon_smile.gif I saw on this website under featured cars i beleive, Rick Marcus' [sp] (Fast Frog's) Car, and fell in love, then I saw it in Sport Z Magazine, and knew then that the inliner was going out the window, well, it may be small, but it still aint light enough to pick up, so, out in the back of a truck, not a window. That's where my inspiration came from, I have a few other Ideas that I want to do, some custom things just to make it unique.

I also found out today that the tranny should be from a 97, as he was planning on using it behind an lt-1. Also, the computer that is coming with the engine already has a what my dad called "hyper chip"... I'm thinking hypertech? though if it is a 95 maybe it has just ben re-programmed using their programmer, as the chip is not changable, so, I will find out all of the details when we go to pick it up.

Kris

BTW, Jason, you can have some fun in it as soon as it's done icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hi there!

I am also from the San Diego area. Chula Vista/Bonita area.

Nion I have previously sent you at least 4 emails and you have never responded, kind of rude I think.

I am wondering if you will have trouble with smog since you have a 77?

Guest Anonymous

Buddha,

I don't usually get down that far, usually not south of the 8 unless going to the airport, since I live in north county, but do go to one of my favorite places down there. All Z Auto Wrecking. Lee is a great guy, and always gives good deals, and usually gives me some of the little stuff.

I may have some smog trouble, but figure I will get it passed somehow. I'll come up with something, I know it can be done, you just have to know the right people icon_wink.gif

Kris

Kris~

I live on the west side of El Cajon close to the 67/I-8 split. I get around quite a bit also so im sure we can hook up sometime.

As for your smog issues...

As I understand the views of the DMV, you should be able to have it legally V8'ed with the newer LT1. I spoke to a rep and was told that the guidelines are as follows. Aslong as the transplanted engine is from a NEWER vehicle, has all the stock smog-type equipment and any performance upgrades are CARB certified...the car is legal aslong as it passes the sniffer test for the CAR THE ENGINE CAME OUT OF. So, as i understood it, your 77 Z would be tested on the same regiment as The Camaro/Vette that the engine originated from.

I have not actually gone through the process myself, as both my modifyed vehicles are smog exempt, but that what i was told by the rep at the DMV office.

There are other ways around it also..but you have to have a 'friend' who works as a smogtech. Did I say that??...I couldn't have cause that would be illegal! Someone grabbed the keyboard from me..i swear! rolleyesg.gif

As for seeing a V8-Z in the buff..Im the wrong guy to visit. My car doesnt have the drivetrain in it yet. Within a couple months hopefully tho. Any questions you might have about just about anything regarding these cars can almost certainly be answered here on the forums. This group is very well versed in most,if not all methods of modifying these cars. You'll learn loads day by day!

Jason

Hey ZGimp. Welcome to the world of Hybrid Z's. This is definitely the place to be as I'm sure you are already finding out. Great info and friendly people here with lots of Z knowledge to share. Enjoy! twak.gif J & G