HybridZ

My hatch after being attacked by myself and car audio instal

Guys, here is a picture of the hatch of my z with my subwoofer enclosure. That sub is an audiobahn alum12x and the amps you see in the back are butler tube drivers, the thing in the back is my crossover. I used balanced cables, so they didnt look very clean. This is dirty, nasty picture but i figured id share anyways.

Evan

PS.. pics of kicks installed soon to come, they are undergoing the final sand.

Guest Thurem

I guess you wont be bringing your buddy on the run to the store for a 12 pack.

Looks good though.

I made my sparetirewell into a subenclosure, with two 1/2 inch sheets of plywood cut to circles one slightly bigger than the other. Then screwed them together. And carefully fitted them for a snug fit in the round hole. Then I cut holes for my 2 subs. All I need now is a crossover and an amp.

Thure

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/evan240zt/vwp?.dir=/Car+pictures&.src=ph&.dnm=sub+enclosure.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/evan240zt/lst%3f%26.dir=/Car%2bpictures%2

I still can't figure this stuff out, but at least it works... icon_rolleyes.gif

Evan, it looks like a winner; I just wished I could hear how it sounds in person!! Thanks for posting the pic since it gives me sick ideas on what to do next.

Davy

The one sub is excellent for sound quality. It blends pretty well. It will get loud too if thats your cup of tea, but the aluminum is not the choice if you like your bass loud. Its primarily built for Sound quality.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Evan

PS... with the enclosure space i was left with i really needed it all for the proper parameters of that specific woofer. I dont think two tens would have worked as well for my application.

That's pretty nice! About the same as I will do to mine, but with two twelves. No, I'm not putting two twelves in that small enclosure, just using the additional space provided by the spare tire well for the enclosure, so the false floor isn't so high. Out of curiosity, what did you figure the cubic feet of the spare tire well to be after the fiberglass was in?

!M!

Evan, wat color is your car, my car looks very similiar color.

Is your spare tyre still under there or not, it really looks really clean and a nice install, once its all cleaned up.

can u hear the engine over the music.

zspeed, my car is a purple color but blue when seen in direct sunlight. Most people just call it purple so i went with that. LOL.

Spare tire? whats that. If there was one in there it would be pretty difficult to get it out of the hole the 12" is sitting in. I never had a spare so figured why start now!

I can hear my exhaust over ANYTHING. 3" with a dynomax race magnum bullet muffler. The bass is still very audible at the obligitory 3k cruise drone.

Thanks for the compliment - Evan

Guest Big Phil

Here is a picture of my last stereo install in my 280z. I have built several different fiberglass subwoofer enclosures but I think this one is the most unusual. I used two Boston Acoustic 10 inch woofers mounted in a fiberglass tub that fit in the spare tire well. The amp is an Xtant X603 mounted under plexiglass. I pull all this stuff out but I still have the box and trim panels if anybody wants it. I also have a more traditional fiberglass sub box that holds 12 inch woofers that fits in the same location. I don't need them but I don't want to throw them away so pay for shipping or come get them in San Diego and they are yours.

Phil

Sub enclosure in 78 280z

P.S. The boxes only fit 280z with the inflatable spare because the spare tire well differs in shape from model to model

Guest Anonymous

Big Phil, I'm just starting to work on My Sound System, I am interested in a setup like this, Give me a Shout...I've got a BUNCH of stuff listed on Ebay right Now, Let Me know if you can use any of it, Thanks, Randy

Evan,

Awesome job! I have never heard Butler Tube amps but salivate at the thought of owning a few. Man you must have deep pockets (I bet there a lot lighter now though! icon_biggrin.gif ). To this day, the best amps I heard were an Autoteks and Hifonics powering A/D/S and CDT component sets (so great in fact I became a car audio aficianado overnight) and some Precision Power amps powering some Crystal CMP's. I know Butler amps are an entirely different plateau and those things look beautiful! How do you like the Butler amps? I keep hearing how they reproduce the most musical and accurate soundstage. It seems as though they are right up there with Brax, Luxman and Harrison Labs.

I'm already planning an install for the Z. So far I'm looking at some A/D/S seperates, Nak CD700 H/U, AudioControl EQ and probably an Alumapro Alchemy 12". The only thing I haven't made up my mind on yet is the amp. I want a 5-channel amp that reproduces a warm, accurate soundstage and very natural vocals without being coloring the music. From your experiences, could you tell me which amp would work for me?

Guest Big Phil

Azel,

Is this system for your Z? If it is where is the rear speakers going to be located? In most vehicles rear speakers are completely unneccesary if you are looking to create an accurate image and soundstage in a vehicle. Many IASCA competitors do not use rear channels because they pull the image to the rear. Most high end home systems are 2 channel and rears are usually reserved for home theatre. So may be you should look at a 4 channel(with the two rear channel bridged to run the sub)or a 3 channel amp. I have owned several high end amps including ADS, Mcintosh, Rockford, Alpine, Zapco,PPI and Orion but the best sounding amp I ever own was an Xtant X603. It is a 3 channel amp design specfic for sound quality competition if you are looking for a great amp you should check it out.

Phil

Xtant web site

You're probably right. I tried going without the rear-fill in my other car, it sounded fine but with rear-fill the soundstage was lifted and had more ambiance. Also my rear passengers were complaining about not hearing the music. Then again, the Z is a much smaller car than my daily driver so I may not have rear fill at all. That would make things easier and cheaper for me.

I have heard Xtant amps before and they sound mighty impressive but what I'm really looking for is a tube amp. A friend of mine has one and he swears it the best thing he's heard. Since I'm going all-out on the Z, I want the best-sounding equipment I can get and I won't spare money to do so.