HybridZ

Vacumm, Think along with me

Ron240zxt

I've been toying with the idea of

1: use my exhaust to draw vacumm out of my crank case through a 1 way valve Why might i do this, well im not running a PCV Valve,Smog pump etc.

2: Next idea was to use a smog pump (YUCK) to creat a vacumm in my crank case..

Down fall to this is ugly smog pump and making new location mounts...

What Does a F1 car do for Crank case vacumm?

You do know they pressurize there cooling system to a pressure of 40psi?

hummm

Well got to run

Later All

Ron

Hi Ron,

The way I have my V8 set up is:

3/8 line from back of the Holly 600DP "Y"'d to brake booster with a 1 way valve and on the other side of the "Y" it goes to a PCV valve.

I don't think if drilling and putting a line to the exhaust would create a vacume in the block.

I know it won't if you have any restriction in it.

I have no idea how the F1 or Indy cars work vacum wise.

Would be nice to hear about though.

Dave

You may have also seen the PCV vacuum sources that are put in the headers. Basically its a 3/4" tube, that is inserted into the side of the collector. The end is cut at an angle so that the leading (oncoming exhaust gas side) is shielding the angle cut side. The pressure drop in this tube is a function of exhaust gas velocity. The tube is then hooked up to the crankcase. Summit sells them.

Terry, is that still using a PCV valve? Your description reminds me of the pseudo high RPM vaccuum pump setups done on high winding dragstrip mills. Added 6hp on a 600hp setup in a few magazine articles. I haven't seen a setup like that on any street driven rides myself.

Ron, you don't need a smog pump etc to have an effective PCV system. One breather on one side and your PCV valve on the other w/ the PCV hooked up to the appropriate port. Your exhaust will not accomplish full vaccuum draw out of your crankcase at lower rpm's etc and unless you have lots of blowby the pressure will build...