HybridZ

anyone made a light that shows detonation?

spork

I was wondering if anyone has ever made any kind of light(or buzzer) that would come on when a detonation sensor senses knock (or thinks it senses knock). what kind of signal comes off the sensor that shows knock? I thought having something like this would be a nice safety tool to know you need to back off the boost in a situation that the knock isn't really audible. thanks for any suggestions guys.

jamie thanks for the reply. I took a look at the device but the only thing is I was hoping to use my exsisting knock sensor (sinceI already have one on my 280zxt). Does a knock sensor create a certain voltage when it senses knock? like if you hooked up an air/fuel ratio gauge to a knock sensor would you see a result? or is the voltage of the knock sensor too small for that kind of gauge to read it? or is it more than that. Since I don't like to go around and make my engine knock, I really don't know what kind of signal the knock sensor puts out. does anyone know for sure?

Guest Anonymous

KNOCKING PROBLEM:

Alot turbo engine setups have a knock sensor

that retards the ignition. This will prevent

engine damage as it will operate before you can

feel in the seat of your pants. Check out

factory manuals for infor.

Sunny

Guest JAMIE T

I'm not sure of the electronic reading the Knock sensor gives out. If you have a digital meter(Fluke, UEI), you could try it on differant settings until one shows a reading while the engine is running. Better yet, go to your local Nissan dealer, tell the service adviaser what info you need, and see if he can get a tech guy to help with the info. My Brother is a service adviser at a Honda dealer, he WILL NOT give you information on how to FIX your car, but he likes to help guys who are hot rodding, and need tech.

Guest Anonymous

You can get the same setup(LED light gauge, like AF meter) for the knock sensor off a Buick GN. Buick GN catalogs have them for 40-50$. My buddy just put one on his Turbo shelby, so far it works great for the price!

All a knock sensor is is an accelerometer. The problem is that you get a picture of all the vibrations that are going on and you need to filter the output to see what "knock" you are getting. Most if not all ECU's do this internally, and then they use the info only in a gradual sense, in that they look at knock over time and then retard ignition and/or pull boost (with a waste gate solenoid) as well. I just described the Mitsu/Talon system, but others are similar.

The issue is that you need to do a bunch of signal processing of the knock sensor, not just look at the output of the accelerometer ("knock sensor").