HybridZ

Desktop Dyno...

labrat

.039" to .041" is the norm for crushed thickness on the Head Gasket for a typical SBC while it's bore will obviously depend on your displacement; yet, typical Head Gasket Bore sizes will range from 4.125" to 4.200". The cc's those cyl.head gasket bore's consume will range from 8.2cc up to 11.2cc's.

Oh yea, dont forget your crevis cc's of your piston's! That can range anywhere from 1.1cc's for a small block and upto 3cc's for a big block on a typical street engine's piston.

For your typical crushed gasket thickness and the cc's they consume you may wish to consult your P.A.W Catalogue's Fel-Pro section. They have good info concerning that exact issue.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Tom Scala

Don't get too excited about the accuracy of DD. It ranges from somewhat close to somewhere out in left field. Usually torque is underestimated and HP is way overated. Performance Trends Engine Analyzer is much closer to reality but it comes at a price.

I just borrowed my friends copy of desktop dyno 2000 to plan my upcoming engine rebuild, and I have a question for you DD experts out there. I asked him, but he wasn't sure. First and foremost, what is the bore size and crushed thickness of a standard fel-pro sbc headgasket? I have been using .030 as a guestimate... Anyone have anything more accurate? I've also been using 4.15 for the headgasket bore size. It sounded pretty good to me, but the compression numbers i'm getting seem kinda high, so its probably not quite right. Has anyone done a comparison between the software and actual dyno runs to determine accuracy? I know it's based on standard engine math, but how does it relate to the real world? Do they want to make you "feel good" about buying their software and inflate the numbers, or are they a little on the conservative side? anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble on and any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Bill

Bill, there are many different sizes. Check out those on THIS SITE to get an idea of the range of possibilities of thickness and bore diameter.

I think a typical crushed thickness is 0.039" and a typical bore size for a 4" bore application is about 4.1" to 4.2"