HybridZ

Dave!! (kc6wfs) weird idea what do you think?

Guest bang847

Guest bang847

I was wondering about a seismograph for the car..

I dont know if it has been done but i think this might be a cool idea..

I was thinking something that measures the vibration from the engine.. maybe a clip-on sensor so you know the magnitude of how that engine is shaking.. i mean you can tune with timing and tune for mixture but how do you really get the baby to purr??

is there something out there that does this already?

if it is a new idea and some one out there creates it and makes a million bucks please remember me... :D

I was thinking maybe using a piezo transducer to measure the intensity of vibration and use some kind of light or sound reproducer to monitor the changes.. am i nutty? :confused:

Bang,

They have been doing this for decades now. Not so much on automotive stuff nowadays, but definitely on bigger stuff (stationary sources). A good tech can tell by the wave frequency and duration how the engine is reacting and how efficiently its running.

If you've seen the old Sun equipment, with oscilliscopes and waves on the screens, that's what they're doing. Very good diagnostic tool (reading wave frequencies), but you REALLY have to know what is going on.

My 2c worth.

Tim

Guest bang847

How un-original am I bonk.gif ?

Yeah idea poped into my mind after I put chevron gas into my dad's car...

at first it was running arco gas and then after a fill up of chevron it ran smoother.. I asked my friend who was riding with me did he feel the difference but he didnt.. I guess you would have to be the driver to feel it... just wondering if there was a way to prove that it was runinning smoother...

actually Tim I saw some vibration detector/sensors on ebay.. Im not going to buy one.. but should I invest any intrest in them? I think it would be helpful for fine-tuning.. but i could be wrong as it doesnt probe anything specific... twak.gif

Guest Anonymous

Your not alone, I'm quite the inventor of things all ready produced my self. I worked with a guy and we got to chatting, and he says ' Yeah if ya did that they'd put you on the seismograph and know if you were lying or not.' I said 'Yeah but it'd need to be one whopper of a lie to make the ground shake' I donno why, struck me funny as hell, almost choked up a lung. Ummm, polygraph Todd ok? :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest bang847
Originally posted by DAW:

Maybe you could put a glass of water on the roof of the car and video record/enhance the changes in ripples with tuning adjustments. DAW

ugg.gif How you out-think me with a solution soo simple?? :eek:

Guest bang847
Originally posted by DAW:

Maybe you could put a glass of water on the roof of the car and video record/enhance the changes in ripples with tuning adjustments. DAW

It just occured to me that a wide glass bowl with graduations drawn on would do the trick...

Guest Anonymous

I just always adjusted with either a vacuum gauge or tach depending on what carb is on it. IMHO, if its a carb'ed car, forget it ever purring smoothly with no pulses or jumps in RPM, carbs fuel mixture is so erratic, the A/F mixture jumps all over the place.

You want smoothness quit screwing with carbs and go fuely, then you'll know what smooth is. Obviously this a an opinion, but really once its dialed in (and assuming your not running monsterous cams that take mucho fuel map work) the word Tuneup isn't used very often, maybe a plug and check timing, but in some cases the computer is going to put the timing where it wants it anyway. That said I still run a carb due to financial reasons, but I have a fuel injection system thats slowly taking shape that one day I'll replace that yucky carb with.

Regards,

Lone