HybridZ

do i need data logging?

BRAD D

I will be installing an rb26dett in my 73 this winter so now I’m looking for a computer. I will save $1800can or 1150$us if I buy an SDS computer over the other makes. The only down fall I see is that SDS dose not have data logging. So my question is how much will data logging help me? I can get on a dyno because I know the owners of a shop that have one. Would I not just set my computer once anyway, unless I made any major mods? What else should I know?

Guest greimann

Having used a Holley 4DI fuel injection for about 6 years now I can tell you that datalogging was an invaluable tool for getting the fuel map dialed in and troublshooting other aspects of the injection system. With a programmable fuel injection, you will (and should) examine the system and fine tune it over a period of time. You will want to adjust aspects of the drivability that is not possible to simulate on the dyno, like cold starts and hot weather. You may have some kind of glitch that you can only get to act up while driving in a certain situation. Datalogging can help with all of that.

The short answer is yes, you will benefit greately from datalogging.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Going threw the tuning stages with my F3 Haltech on my ZXT and I have used the feature to realize where I was having a problem with the program and I have seen people use it on the dyno with good result. But these situations have been with cars that are really pushing the envolope. I also have used the SDS and the need has not been there in my case, it was easy to program and I didnt miss the option, if you have a dyno that is where you make all the difference. I guess it fall's on how good a programer you are...