HybridZ

Speedometer gauge shows wrong speed.

drawz

Hello. Hope someone could help me out. After pulling the needle on the speedometer on my 240z (was upgrading to led bulbs and removed the green plastic domes), and put back together it now shows wrong speed.

I know where I went wrong. I pulled the needle when it rested on the needle-stop pin and put back there... Should have pushed down the needle-stop pin and pulled it when it rested freely and put pack in the same position..

Is there any way I can fix this myself?

Edited by drawz

Take it apart again and put the needle back about 5 minutes under the needle pin and lift it up so it rest on the pin. Should be accurate but take a test drive before you put it all back.

Thanks.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by 5 minutes under the needle pin. any reference point? Or like a 10 km/h counter-clockwise from pin?

I interpret that to 18 degrees of the entire dial.

The speedometer is supposed to read 60 MPH when the cable is turning at 1200 RPM. If you have an electric drill and a spare speedo cable, use the drill to run speedo. Wrap the chuck with a light colored tape. Use a marking pen to make 6 evenly spaced marks on the tape. This will make a crude tachometer. At 1200 RPM the ac lighting in your shop will create lines that seem to be stationary. Remember the speed control on your old record player?

Thanks for your help.

But my speedo is km/t. 60mph = 96,5 km/h

Thats quite difficult to read on the speedo. Should it be 100km/t @ 1200 rpm? Or any other reference?

Edited by drawz

The way I read the 5 minute reference is,when looking at your speedo imagine the face of a clock and set your needle 5 min back of the pin. Then push the needle back above the pin and test it out before you secure in place. Don't know if that works but that's how I interpret his suggestion.

The way I read the 5 minute reference is,when looking at your speedo imagine the face of a clock and set your needle 5 min back of the pin. Then push the needle back above the pin and test it out before you secure in place. Don't know if that works but that's how I interpret his suggestion.

Then that would be the same distance there are between 20 - 40 km/h. That would be 5 minutes, right?

[image]http://www.atlanticz.ca/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2294.0;attach=4846[/image]

Thanks for your help.

But my speedo is km/t. 60mph = 96,5 km/h

Thats quite difficult to read on the speedo. Should it be 100km/t @ 1200 rpm? Or any other reference?

There should be a calibration factor printed on the face plate near the edge. You can only see it when the meter is apart.

There should be a calibration factor printed on the face plate near the edge. You can only see it when the meter is apart.

Will check that out If the '5 minutes'-thing doesnt work.

Will post my resaults.

Thanks alot guys!