HybridZ

electric power steering pump?

David K

ok i know there is electric water pumps, but is there power steering pumps also?

i was in the driveway now toting a complete engine around and i was thinking how nice it would be to get rid of that big bulky power steering pump on the engine and the belt too. it must weigh a lot.

does anybody know of any pumps i can mount on the fender wall or anything that would allow me to eliminate the stock pump and also provide enough pressure for the power steering system?

thanks

There is another way to do this (I think). If you used a convertible top pump with appropiate switches. this could work to reduce drag. I've looked into this myself. My only wory is that when a pwr. rack is full of fluid it can be pretty stiff. I envisioned a switch that turned on the pump in 1st and reverse. A speed switch would also work (pump on at 15mph and less). The 240sx had a vert version. Infinity did something M30? I think they have the same part number. There is the issue of if the alternator is big enough to supply the voltage is it a real reduction in drag? I say yes 'cause you get to turn it off at road speed. The only problem I see is the stiffness of the steering when pump is off. You will not duplicate it by simply draining the fluid, no resistance in the valving.

Sorry to ramble. I saw this on a rally VW golf and have put a bit of thought into it because my daily driver is a Golf.

hope this helps

Luigi

P.S. I had a blast in ALA.!!

I have been thinking for a while that you could run most of your accessories either via electric motor or with an electric clutch like on an AC compressor. You really only need full power when you are at WOT, therefore you could put a microswitch on your throttle that would trip a series of relays to turn of your electric fan, AC compressor, PS pump, etc. Which would free up precious HP for acceleration.

• 2 years later...

there are a number of standard cars that come with remote power steering pumps, the sw20 mr2, rx-8 and some citroen saxo's among them. if you can find them. i'm looking at doing something similar. a lot of mid/rear mounted cars have them