HybridZ

LS-equipped 78 280z fastest drag car at ZCON 2015

Socorob had the fastest ET at ZCON 2015 at Memphis International Raceway, spinning most of the way down the track. It was his first time to a drag strip. He ran 12.7 in the quarter on autocross tires thru a MGW-shifted T-56 and a 3.54 Q45 diff. With the A/C on!

He beat all the 350zs and 370zs and a Nissan V8 swapped S32 (what is that: VQ or VK?), and an LT1 equipped 240z with a 60mm turbo with a Phantom Grip (that didnt work).

His car is super: sorted, sano-clean as a pin, restoration quality resto-mod car. He was very fast in the autocross thanks to good driving, used "free" autocross compound tires, a full T3 suspension kit, S32 rear brakes and Toyota truck front brakes. Interior is clean, plush and quiet. He let me drive his car some, and I would drive that car to California with confidence.

Rob and Carmen drove up to Memphis from near N. Orleans in a borrowed RV, towing a borrowed trailer that Rob had to re-deck the week before ZCON before it would support his car; they stayed in a mosquito-infested campground. Carmen was his videographer and gets wife of the year award.

A big shout-out to Socorob!

post-5903-0-30501900-1437255297_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Oh, I hope you didn't take the A/C comment as critical-it wasn't intended that way. I posted this thread to congratulate you-plus I cant count on you to talk your car up as much as it deserves. Yes, on a normal drag situation you turn off A/C to keep track dry forward of waterbox. And in a race situation less power losses might be worth some performance gains. But, this track day wasn't racing, it was more of an demo/exhibition anyway. I like your A/C and am kinda jealous-between your car and Mad Mike's it was the only A/C I got all weekend-notice how I didn't want to get out of your car? A little bit of paradise in the scorching hell that was ZCON 2015! I would sacrifice a little traction any day for that respite.

I didn't. Thanks again for showing me how to do a proper burnout. I was getting frustrated and about to give up after those runs with absolutely no traction. It felt like driving on ice (from what I can remember driving on ice feeling like ).

Keep you eye out for used 15" rims to try and figure out your back spacing. A good first wheel to try is a 15x7 with 4.5" backspacing (although I don't know the TTT rear kit like I do the stock kit). Once you get the wheel centered in the wheel well (preferably with a used wheel), get a pair of MIckey Thompson 26x8.5 ET Drags. That change alone (wheels and tires) will put you in the 11s.

11s would be awesome. I heard Z1 wasn't doing z nats in October? I hope to be able to get to another track night in america in 2 weeks. That swaybar upgrade seemed to make a big difference. I will be able to tell for sure if I get to go back on the track here.