HybridZ

Tapping NA oil pan for turbo? What size?

dpuma8

I have a GT3076R turbo I am putting on my L28E and I need to tap the oil return line. I see that the stock l28et oil pan has a connection for a 3/4 hose.

Do I need a 3/4 barb welded or will a smaller size be good enough? Would AN fittings be a good idea?

Edited by dpuma8

I have a GT3076R turbo I am putting on my L28E and I need to tap the oil return line. I see that the stock l28et oil pan has a connection for a 3/4 hose.

Do I need a 3/4 barb welded or will a smaller size be good enough? Would AN fittings be a good idea?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-bungs/=yq07mq

1/2" NPT should be sufficient - you can then use a hose barb or and AN fitting if you like.  

If you want to do an AN fitting, I'd use a -10 (~5/8" id).  Also, I use teflon hose for this application because it's temperature rating is higher, and then I use a firesleeve over that.  

Look really closely at how you would route the hose - the minimum bend radius of these hoses isn't very small, and angled fittings/hose ends use up the available space really quick and don't always come out at the angles that you need.  Offsetting the weld bung a bit from the oil drain of the turbo might might help by giving you a bit more room to work with.  

Finally, remember to locate the weld bung above the oil fill line, and such that it lines up between the bolt holes so you can still assemble it :mrgreen:

Edited by TimZ