HybridZ

question about electronics like boost, fuel, etc controllers

Guest ON3GO

Ok well after looking around and getting even more confused ill just ask here about it.

When you have a EMS like Microtec or SDS or AEM, do you still need a boost contoller and also a Apex-i S-AFC?

ive read alot of places of some EMS's that say the do Boost Conrtol, so does that mean you dont need a EBC or a MBC, either one?

well thanks...

Mike

A lot of stand alone engine management systems have built in switches for controlling boost. By saying switches I mean user set RPM signals that can be used to switch a relay. Then you can hook that relay up to a solenoid to have a low high boost set up, by bleeding the waste gate at different rates. But I believe that some of the more expensive systems like MOTEC will have gear specific boost and fuzzy logic and enough options to set up that you could go to school to learn how to use all of them.

so you would still have to have some sort of valve to bleed pressure to the waste gate, that the system could controll.

The AEM EMS allows me to control a wastegate solenoid - in this case from a GM Typhoon - using a modulated pulsewidth. I can choose max boost, I can choose between different boost levelsfuel maps, and I can set target boost versus vehicle speed. In other words I can run reduced boost at lower MPH and allow it to ramp up as speed increases. Only trouble with this last is that my car loses traction even at it's very lowest boost setting :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

The fuzzy boost logic is crazy and a waste of time. The Apexi boost controller is used with a the Apex-i AFC to controll boost in relation to fuel curve on cars with lots of tracktion problem, its BS. You cant use it on L6 ECM and its a wast of cash, if your going to spend the money buy a HKS EVC a older model if you can find it with the three knobs. I use a turbo X/S dual boost contoller with a button on the shift know to encrease from 18 to 23psi when the car is fully hooked up in 3rd, it works, its easy to install and tune and it wont break the bank. Just my .02.

Alex C

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

The fuzzy boost logic is crazy and a waste of time. The Apexi boost controller is used with a the Apex-i AFC to controll boost in relation to fuel curve on cars with lots of tracktion problem, its BS. You cant use it on L6 ECM and its a wast of cash, if your going to spend the money buy a HKS EVC a older model if you can find it with the three knobs. I use a turbo X/S dual boost contoller with a button on the shift know to encrease from 18 to 23psi when the car is fully hooked up in 3rd, it works, its easy to install and tune and it wont break the bank. Just my .02.