HybridZ

SDS is a Go!

Guest scca

ok,,, talked to sds this am and its all setup.

they say shipping will take about 4 days from receiving the fax from me..

so i need $, specs, and options, shipping address etc...

injector impedance, model use etc...

i'll be doing a bulk email to everyone

tonite so as the orders come it they go to sds and will ship direct to you.

any additional items you need after the fact i will still be able to get for 20% off.

and IF someone later mentions hybridz i will be able to offer close to the same price i think..

if you prefer you can fax me specs at

604-582-8557

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Do you have one of those antiquated telephone things? I want to be first on the list.

edit:

I have questions, who do I ask? I'm going to assume you, since you're the dealer now smile.gif For the benefit of everyone else.....

I will be using low impedance injectors. What if I wanted to use high impedance injectors in the future? Should I get it for high impedance and use dropping resistors for now or what?

And most importantly, the question that nobody can answer: WHICH GODDAMN WATER TEMP SENSOR FITS IN THE STOCK THERMOSTAT HOUSING?

smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited January 30, 2001).]

thats the way its gonna work.. FIFO just like accounting (for those that dont know that first in first out)

email or fax..

address for mail is

Mike Gibson

1733 H street #330-pm460

blaine, Wa. 98230

toll free 877-966-3344

fax 604-582-8557

its a pitney bowes laser fax so it prints real well...

Mike

I'll give SDS a call tomorrow to get the final outlines on the package I want, then contact Mike.

Scottie, if you are out there could you post all the info on the package you bought? I am pretty sure I know what I want, but I might miss something.

------------------

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

Drax's 72 240Z Turbo

Guest Anonymous

God. The guy at sds was no help, he didn't know which sensor would fit right in. SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! smile.gif

I guess I'm just gonna have to wimp out and get the pipe threaded one and tap a hole if it doesn't fit. I'm anal like that and would rather not be cutting on it, but oh well.

I'm also still wondering about the 3 bar map sensor - good or bad? how bad can the drivability really be? Were I going to run like, 2 bar of boost it would be a no brainer as I would have no choice, but I anticipate only running high teens, so it's real close....

edit: Also, any opinion on whether a msd box with the distributor would be better than the sds coil packs?

edit: Also, I asked them about what the diff. was between high/low impedance injectors..... the only diff. is that they pre-wire dropping resistors into the harness for low impedance injectors. Should you want to use high impedance injectors in the future, you can simply remove the resistors from the harness. There are no differences internally like I was led to believe.

------------------

Morgan

Whether you use a 2-bar or 3-bar MAP sensor has nothing to do with driveability or sensitivity as I saw mentioned in an earlier post. The difference to you is the range of programmability. If you buy a 2-bar, you are limited to programming up to 15# boost. This does not prevent you from running >15#, you just cannot program for it and the ECU will use the last values programmed in. If you get a 3-bar sensor, you can program the parameters up to 30# boost. The difference is that the level of granularity you have for progamming values is less. Imagine a 6K RPM tach with 100 RPM incrememnts on a 270* sweep. Now take the same 270*, retain the same number of increments (60) but change the tach to 10K RPMs. Probably not a good analogy but the first one that came to mind.

If you are anal, then that will probably bother you, but remeber you are programming fuel and ignition retard curves based on boost demand and those curves will be ramped, fuel up for boost, spark advance down for retard. IMO, do not lose sleep over it.

Keep one more thing in mind, these programmable systems are not made for a Z or any other specific car for that matter. Chances are the vendor has no clue about your specific car. You are not dealing with MSA, et al. Think about it, you toss out your distributor, ECM, AFM and all the wiring and whats left? A 6-cyl engine with a turbo.

BTW, was the order placed directly with SDS or with Carlos? If Ross is willing to give you 20%, then the price is the same. Difference is that Carlos would be your first call for support and he has me and Mark (an assistant) to help him with Z tech issues. Mark also has a Z and a 500hp 1.8L Silvia, with SDS, of course biggrin.gif. In any case, you guys do whatever you feel comfortable with.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

morgan are you in a new area code??

i get calls from tx, fla, NY, oregon, cali etc and they all come in?

i know sometimes when a new area code is added they "forget" to add it to the 800 numbers ...(new within the last year?)

last week i had someone from calgary call it was ok - they drove to edmonton and it wouldnt work..

call direct then smile.gif oh well you'll have to pay then smile.gif

for the temp unit i think i can locate what will fit.. i will look into that tomorrow.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Grrr. Why didn't you say this carlos guy you speak of can give a 20% discount? I'dve already ordered from him by now!

I'm not an idiot, I understand the difference between the 2 and 3 bar sensors - sds says on their web site that the 3 bar results in "less drivability" or something to that effect. Exactly what they consider "less" is all that worries me. I don't care if it's glass-smooth and pulls from idle in 5th gear, I just want it to idle period, which is why I was asking! smile.gif

Scottie: why did you get the 2 bar sensor instead of the 3 bar one?

Area code 256 - new sometime in the last 1-2 years, not sure exactly.

------------------

Morgan

When I ordered mine, I had no plans to run the stock setup beyond 15# boost. Little did I know and I eventually ran 17# with the stock turbo and just fattened up the fuel on the last 2 boost parameters and threw in an extra degree of retard on the last. Obviously it worked because I was making up 27mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 biggrin.gif

Re the impedance, they changed the design with the EM-3. The previous versions used external injector driver boxes.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

Ah. What about tuning?

I've read the instructions multiple times.... it doesn't seem like exactly rocket science... I used to work for nasa, so I know a little about rocket science too, so I can't imagine it'll be all that bad. smile.gif

It seems incredibly straightforward, and everything else I have is overkill(fuel system, etc, etc, etc) so I don't anticipate any freak problems. And perhaps most importantly, I have a brain(Or so I'm told! smile.gif). Setting fuel values and timing values doesn't really seem all that hard to me....

------------------

Morgan