HybridZ

Distributor swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A couple of questions here. First of, I have an 80zx, I put triple webers on it, my distributor is messed up, but I have access to a reworked Dist. for a 77z,,how do I convert the wiring over to use the module and distributor on the 80zx.

Second, I had the car running good, but I adjusted something,, and now it starts popping through the carbs above 5000 rpm at full throttle. Yet, if i back off the throttle a little, it revs fine past 6000. But when i push the pedal that last inch, it starts popping and missing....any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Richard

Well first off hello!

These questions are probably going to get better feedback on the forums on a site like zdriver.com, but I'll take a crack at the first one.

If you take a look at Bryan Little's z garage - http://www.mindspring.com/~blittl/ZGarage.html you can read his section on the differences between the distributors by year. I would guess that the reason your distributor seems messed up once you put your triples on the engine, is due to lack of vacuum. (so you have almost no vacuum advance)

I believe there are pretty simple solutions to this problem, but I can't say for sure what they are. I would try to find out more information about recurving a distributor for pure mechanical advance... Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but hopefully you can figure it out from here!

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

Guest kc6wfs

Sounds like a timing problem.

I doubt your carbs are out of sync, it would run harsh through out the rpm range.

Try disconecting your vacume advance and plug it and see if that cures your problem.

Just a thought.

Oh, I have a electronic dist wires and all.

It's the nice type (2 wire Black module) with built in rev limiter, for sale.

It only has about 1k miles on it, and I have a spair module also.

Take care..

Dave

------------------

www.geocities.com/kc6wfs/240z.html

www.NitroPhotos.com