HybridZ

TECII, Haltech, SDS, WolfEMS, SpeedPRO? Agh!

Guest Anonymous

I'm to th epoint where user friendly is what I want smile.gif TEC can actually help you program it - you give it a target A/F and it will "adjust" for it. That's using a wide band O2 BTW. Expect to see wide bands coming on stronger and stronger as the new LEV cars are starting to use them OEM smile.gif

The new DFI sounds interesting but I'll wait and see. Lot's of flash with the softwae it looks like. There's no reason why other's couldn't duplicate some of that. The ability to run NOS is nice but I hope it's flexible liek the TEC so that it could adjust boost using a stepper motor type deal.

It sure is nice to see all these new ECUs. I've been following this sort of EFI stuff for at least 9 years since way back when DFI, Haltech, TEC, and the Motec were about all you could find. The more user firendly software is cool but with a wide band O2 is should be able to help us out by tuning itself when we want it to. THAT would be really nice!

Guest Anonymous

once i finally get enough money to do my turbo swap i'm going with HalTech. mainly because a friend is using it on his turbo Cavalier and he can get them at a discount. but he also already knows exactly how to tune it. and i figure if it can help a Cavalier fly, it will make my Z soar!!!

20% off SDS? Intriguing. Just when I thought I had finally made up my mind...

Anyway, here are the links as promised.

The retailer advertising the complete TECII system for $1699 is Racer Parts Wholesale. This link will bring you directly to their TECII page:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/electro1.htm

As for the link to the TECII Wintec software download page, here it is:

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/downloads/

Select the file called "Version1.16"

An e-groups forum on tuning the TECII has recently been started at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ElectromotiveTECII

And the forum at Vishnu Performance that I mentioned earlier is open to users of the TECII on any car, not just Subarus and Miatas. The moderator of that forum is none other than Shiv Pathek(sp?), a writer for Sport Compact Car (ever read about the TECII installation on a Subaru Impreza? That's him), and one of the most knowledgeable TECII tuners that I've come across.

After having seen the Wintec software, it's hard to imaging tuning with a little LCD screen. Kinda like giving up my computer for a typewriter smile.gif I particularly like the engine monitor screen, where you can view the outputs from all the sensors in real time. And, of course, there's the data logging capability with up to 27 hours of recording time! I guess this is for when we're racing at Le Mans. But seriously, I have to think that this would be a valuable tuning tool. You can do a run and then see exactly where you're running too rich or lean, where you can add or take out some timing, etc.

Anyway, I've never used any of these systems, so I make no claims of one being better than the other when it comes down to actual car performance. I like the promise of getting my car up and running quickly with the SDS, but I'm a techno-junky, and the TECII gets me all excited smile.gif

Hmmmm....

Nigel

Aww geez - now you've got me pondering the TEC stuff gain. I went DFI previously even though they were close but it was a plug-in install on the Mustang. Now with the Z I can run anything I want with no emissions concerns. I'll have to swing by there when the Z is running and see what they will charge me to convert to EFI and talk to friends to see if I can get a deal through them. Great to see them drop those darned software charges - very smart move! Will have to try and load up the software this time and take a really close peek - the old DOS stuff was actually pretty sweet...