HybridZ

Hei Distributor

Guest 1z2c

Guest Frank280z

First you have to eliminate the extra wiring in the 78. Which is probably a bit more than an earlier Z. Then you can grab a 12V reading off of the fuse panel when you turn the key. Probably will wind up being 1 of 2 ign fuses. Follow the wire and connect to the ign side of the cap. Thats one way....Anybodyelse??

Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it. http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/frankzpage/

Only two wires going to mine, tach and 12V Batt. Do use a larger Batt wire, I've seen a lot of variation but GM always had a large one with the plastic clip on the end. I haven't used that clip yet (as yard ones are brittle wire I find) but I should..only once has my 'crimp' clip slipped off and that killed it pretty quick smile.gif Knowing how much wiring I"ve removed from my ZX their must still be a lot that can be removed on a Z I'd guess. My fenders are pretty clean now but I can still take out a lot under my dash (warning system)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I have a 1978 280z.I want to use the Hei distributor.Fixen to drop it in.Cant find the wires to hook it up.The JTR book says to use the black wires with the white stripe.The only black and white striped wire I can find is on the passenger side main wiring harness.Is this one of the wires?And is there another way to wire the hei distributor?Very confused!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can get the HEI Battery and Tach connector pig tails (they are different) from Painless wiring I believe, as well as Jeg's.

Just a thought. I'll warn you I'm an "add a relay" freak. I have everything that draws more than a few amps on relays with large gage wire running from the alt/battery to the relay and then to the device to be powered.

Like Ross said, IGN current can be high, so give it a fighting chance and make sure it can get what it needs. I handled this with a large gage (12) wire from the Ford starter "solenoid" , with a fuse right after it, to a 30 amp VF40 auto relay on the firewall next to the HEI, then a 14 gage wire to the BAT terminal. This was fed by the black/white wire from the 240Z harness.

If you're running a MSD box, this is also very important.

Pete "I love relays" Paraska

P.S. I think my latest count is over 19 relays added to the Z's electical system. Some are security related, but most are to ensure good current and to save Z switches.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Hey Mr. Relay, how have you added these exactly? Do you have a large relay "box" that all your wiring for them goes into, or are they all seperate?

I'd love to add a few myself, but I'm a little at a loss how to mount them all without finding a decent OEM fuse box. I'd absolutely love to rewire the whole car with the E30 BMW fuse/relay box... but thats another story. Do you have something similar, and if so where can I get one and how much?

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

Pete "I love relays" Paraska

You should see his "Fuse Box"....has a Huge Throw Switch. I think he robbed it from an abandoned warehouse! (just kidding)

I agree; fuses or relays should always be used/added when warranted. The 20/30 year old wiring systems need all the help they can get.

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

I have been looking at a painless wiring harness for a street rod. They run $274 for an 18 circuit harness. That'll control everything you need. I like the relay idea. I used to install cell phones and two way radios for a living, and I used the Bosch automotive 30 amp relays all the time. I have built relay panels out of aluminum for under dash before. Those are helpful.

Hey, Richard!

You don't want to use a BMW's fuse box - trust me. I've owned five, and they're a pain in the ass. When those nifty ceramic German fuses get their exposed contacts dirty/corroded (and they will) you'll be cursing the day you thought this was a good idea. Use plug-in, blade-type fuses and an old GM junkyard fuseblock.

I think I noticed that the Peugeot 504 had a good, useable looking fuseblock with room for about a dozen relays. I'll look again when I'm BACK out at the junkyard this weekend pulling stuff I didn't have the time/tools to get last weekend. I ain't staying with the stock block, that's for sure.

best,

Scott Ferguson

1974 260 - Gettin' ready to open wide for the V8!

I made up a box for cooling fan and headlight relays that I mounted in front of the radiator support. 6 relays there. The bottom left pic at:

http://members.home.net/pparaska/VariousPics6Dec2000.htm shows it.

The rest are the standard 30 amp automotive relays you can get from Digikey, radio shack, etc. Cheap, and they have a version with a mounting tab you can bolt to a surface. You can see one to the right of the A/C condenser in that same pick above (it's for the A/C clutch).

I do like the idea of finding a good relay box in the junkyard. This way you'd have a cover for the relays, etc.

Scott: I am not sure what BMW fuse box you are speaking of, but it sure doesn't sound like the E30 one! (1984-1990 3-series) The E30 one has receptacles for ~50 blade fuses, and 8 relays. It also has a nice see through plastic lid. Best looking one I've ever seen.

Not sure what you were talking about... the older 70's cars perhaps?

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif