HybridZ

polishing/smoothing the intake passages and underside??

Guest Anonymous

Ross --

If your polish job helps, how 'bout some insulation? Ceramic coating on headers is supposed to keep about 50% of the heat inside the pipe (as opposed to I-don't-know-how-much on an uncoated header). Just food for thought, and fodder for another great thread.

Ross,

Apologize for the late response-I've been preoccupied this week.....Alright, so that I'm reading from the same page here; your intention is not to alter the intake's chambers but to merely smooth them down.

In doing so-you're wanting to obtain cooler air temp's of the incoming air; Yes/No?

So, it's air temp you're wanting to alter & not the speed/lack of speed of the airflow w/in the chamber's; Yes/No?

BTW: my use of the word "Spacer Plate" was possibly an incorrect choice of words. I probably should've chosen "Insulator Plate" instead being fabricated b/t the TB & manifold.

I also have Vizards book on modifying intake manifolds. He mentions where he has had success in blocking off the Exhaust Heat Risers & claims the engine still has sufficient heat to reach operating temp's; barring ambient temps reaching freezing & high humidity that an intake doesnt really need a heated cross over passage: reaching operating temp will obviously take a little longer as a result.

Vizard has also welded steel plates to the bottom of his manifolds (alluminum manifolds) to deter the heat transfer from the hot oil.

Just for posterity's sake here; why would you go to all this trouble to "Smooth" the intake chambers & not make any attempt at porting them? Would not one improving the airflow compliment the addt'l lowering of air temp & further improve "Density" & the "Ram-Air" effect of air entering the combustion chamber-would this not result in more power: Just Curious?

Hope I helped you this time & not frustrated you! I hope you know I'm not on this board to frustrate anyone; no one enjoys the "bench racing" more than myself & I always look forward to discussing the dynamics of a performance process.

Joe Mondello offers a porting kit for Cast Iron & Alluminum. His Catalogue#:PK 230 or 235.

The first kit includes multiple carbide burrs w/upto 4" shanks. @ 100 abrasive rolls; 6 various shaped cutting stones. The second kit is for alluminum & uses carbide burrs w/8 flutes for faster cutting & less loading up; lubricant is also added.

PK230 = $129.00

PK235 = $135.00

These prices were taken from my 1997 catalogue so prices may have varried slightly. Mondello's ph# 1800.237.8808.

You might also check a PAW book; their kits are broken down to smaller kits & price reflects this. Their kits range from $20-$40 & dont include all the shanks & carbide cutters that the Mondello kits offered: PAW's number 1800.678.3000.

Eastwood's site is WWW>Eastwood.Com; their kits range from $5 to $35 & refer's to the rolls & not carbide cutters. Aside from not having the carbide cutters advertised-I like Eastwoods breakdown of their kits better than PAW's or Mondello's.

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]