HybridZ

Oh no! I cut a hard line

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was using the sawzall on the floorpan of my car. Unfortunately, I cut the return line of my fuel system (EFI). Any suggestions on patching this part of the line?

I was thinking to use a piece of EFI fuel hose and two hose clamps. Would use a punch or something to flare the fuel lines to give it some grip. The guy at the auto store wasn't so keen on doing this and suggested a compression fitting.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

I think what you described will work. I'm always paranoid with fuel lines though, and I usually double clamp them. icon_rolleyes.gif Probably not at all necessary.

I believe there is a law as to the maximum length of rubber fuel line you can run legally, but I doubt you'd ever get caught. Just food for thought.

I actually had a Z that had its return line rust out under the battery tray. I wasn't too keen about fuel spraying all over the starter and battery, let me tell you!

Guest Anonymous

Just to follow up: I called a shop that came recommended by the auto parts store guy - Ace Fuel systems in Santa Clara.

They didn't feel comfortable using the hose as a long term solution. So, I decided to go the AN route. Got a -4 AN coupler and -4 AN barrel nuts to use. Will be borrowing my friend's AN flaring tool (cheapest one I can find is $120)!

Just thought y'all would like to know.

Scott

Randy, that's what I did on my low pressure system (14psi from the Holley blue pump to the regulator). I used brass compression fittings on the hard Al line. I worried a bit about the Al compressing, but it didn't leak.

Any opinions on using compression fittings (brass) on AL hard line?

Pete, I think that is not too bad. I've always been told that your ferrule has to be of a harder material (or the same hardness)than the line to get the proper compression and seal. The fitting body material shouldn't matter quite as much though, just as long as you aren't trying to use stainless steel ferrules in a brass body, etc.

IIRC, Brass and aluminum (depending on types of course) are fairly similar in hardnesses, so it should be a decent solution.

I agree w/Richard about the metal material issues. I had the high side trans cooler line split (metal lines) & oil was spewing everywhere. I checked w/a local trans shop about duplicating a new line...they advised me to just use the brass comp.fittings.

Used them on the cooler line & have never had another problem since-checked the fittings for leaking many times & have never so much as found a drop.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)