HybridZ

fuel cells-what do you use for a fuel guage??

Guest needwaymorespeed

Guest needwaymorespeed

I have one of these fuel cells with the foam in it,how do you put a float in it for the fuel guage?? Do you just cut part of the foam out to do it??

Thanks

Curtis

Guest Anonymous

If you buy the cylinder type sender you should be able to cut a chunk a foam out to install it. Very messy and a real bitch (so I heard from an old-timer last year at superchevy)

icon_sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Scottie,

If that sender is 0-90 ohms it will work with the stock datsun gauge but F will be E and E will be F. It will work backwards. My solution was to take apart the gauge and make the F an E and the E an F. I'm sure someone out there knows how to rewire the gauge but I used the cheap and easy way. Mark

Guest Anonymous

Haha.. I'm glad someone else feels my pain. My autometer reads backwards as well. I thought the GM sender model would work in the Datsun but its backwards. Its annoying, but I know about it, so if I see its getting to full, I start looking for gas. And a theft feature, by the time they figure it out, they'll be walking and the car will be left where it stops... haha..

icon_smile.gif,

Lone

Thanks, All. I can live with the gauge reading backwards. Without a gauge I live on the edge because I intentionally keep my tank low unless I am taking a long trip. I try to have less than 5.5 gals in the tank to make it less painful to drain the pump gas when it is time to go to the track. So, for me the gauge does not have to be dead accurate, I just need an indicator of when I hit 1/4, err, 3/4-tank. Whatever, you know what I mean icon_biggrin.gif

Scottie, be aware that alot of these sending units are non-linear. 1/2 tank may not register 1/2, and 1/4 may be even farther off. I'd do some calibration of those intermediate points on the gage (with the sender out of the tank, or in and add fuel of differing amounts) before I trusted using a GM sender and a stock Datsun gage.