HybridZ

Fuel Infected at last:) Alive and rumbling:)

Well finally got my proflo install fired up on Thursday night....been working on it evenings as I can for ~6wks and doing lots of other car mods at the same time including new rad mounts and ee fan mounts etc......

Fired up very quickly and I got the timing nailed at 10BTDC as per edelbrock spec. Shut it back off after less than a minute running to got get some real gas....had started it on fumes basically.....got back and filled it up and started playing icon_smile.gif

At idle still sounding a bit rough I was reading 4.8" vaccuum on the handheld programmer (very similar to SDS if not a clone). Knocked back global fuel 2%, vaccuum jumps to 8.9%, hehehe, this is fun icon_smile.gif Knocked back idle fuel 2% and we're up to ~11.x%, another mod/save and it's up to 14.6" vaccuum which is about all I'd expect....by then I'd had it running a few minutes in the garage/on blocks at 10:45 at night in our townhouse building so figured that was enough icon_smile.gif It was BEAUTIFUL to smell exhaust and not FUEL in my garage icon_biggrin.gif I haven't read up in the manual on programming much but it seems VERY straightforward and easy to do as it's setup.

One hiccup that delayed me a day in firing up was that my old aircleaner would NOT bolt on.....it overlapped my dizzy/plug wires by ~3/8"....so picked up an offset base one by Transdapt that fits PERFECT so that was sweet...rarely does my first attempt at solutions like that work out. Hopefully tomorrow I can get to an exhaust shop to get an O2 bung installed and start tuning more...going to be great to slap the tires back on and get back to driving it like it's meant to be done!

PS the fuel pump is gorgeously quiet icon_smile.gif Will post pics of my mounts etc once film is developed.

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Ross C ]

Guest Anonymous

Congrats Ross, that sounds like a winner being able to adjust the mixtures so easily. I must make a point of going fuely some day, jetting from the ****pit, whats not to like with that... icon_smile.gif Should be fun to play with and drive!

Take care,

Lone

Thanks Guys, been waiting for this infexion for a while icon_biggrin.gif

I hope to get that O2 installed shortly to help me avert doing 'dumb' tuning and going the wrong way at the wrong time icon_eek.gif

FWIW, I was simply amazed at how many 'unique' solutions were required every step along the way when it came to the wiring harness/lenths/bracketry/fuel lines etc....

Richard, I used the Bosch pump (can't find that list of info/did I post it here?) that was $225 CD and OEM for a few vehicles. I have spec's kicking around but can't find right now.....I did right now find it's OE for '88-91 audi 80 quattro, '88-90 VW Fox (not rabbit), '85-91 Mercedes Benz 190E '85-91. (Rich, if you can find that spec email I sent you that'd be swell...just searched my mailboxes and can't find it so easily).

Conservatively it would support 450hp which is plenty for me. I used figures from the SDS website for fuel consumption ranges. I mounted it on the stock bracket with two large hose clamps and wrapped the pump in some VERY skookum 1/2" thick rubber (typically used for bridge bearings....soft enough for great damping but no wear....used same on base of radiator mounts)

Now if I hadn't twisted my back in some unknown fashion this morning I'd be having that O2 bung installed..argggggggg :mad:

maybe the drugs will make it all better shortly :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

One more pump you can look at is the one for an 86-87 Ford E-250 van. It's also an inline bosch pump, looks just like the others, and is very quiet. The best part is that it's about half the price of the German car items, about US$75 new at Autozone.

Crap, I lost it in my last hard drive wipe. No matter how much I prepare, I always lose something when I wipe. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a feeling I know which bosch pump it is, likely the same one as on my buddies 323i. I'm surprised that is enough pump for your application actually. icon_smile.gif

I hear you on the custom everything route. icon_smile.gif I feel that way sometimes too. Every time I want to do something, I have to design and make a piece to do it. Too bad there wasn't enough demand for this swap to warrent making a kit with custom brackets, etc.

Guest Anonymous

Don't know what the specs are, but the pump is used to feed an injected 351W. I can tell you that it is the same size and shape as the others.

Next time I crawl under the car, I'll get the Bosch part number.

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: 66coupe ]

Well the way mine is mounted it would take some 45 minutes or more to undo enough connections to read a pump number..here's BOSCH TECH US/CANADA 1-800-521-5462. your local parts store can give you a bosch number for that one and the tech line will give you specs. I too came across several others that were cheaper but none that were a healthy 250pph. If their are cheaper Bosch ones it'd be great to know icon_smile.gif

I'd be interested in hearing the specs on that van pump too! Down the road I expect I'll be needing a nice inline pump - is it very bulky? Pics maybe? Good to know Bosche will share their pump ratings - aren't they the ones that are stingy on injector ratings or is that another company? icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

The Ford van pump is about 6-7" long and maybe 2 1/2" or less in diameter. It's the standard Bosch pump. I know it has a Bosch part number and logo stamped on it.

It has a ford quick connect on the inlet, but I just slipped a 3/8" hose over it and clamped it. No pressure on that side anyway. The other side has the metric threaded fitting that you can change to whatever you need.

THIS JUST ROCKS!! Found my idle setup problem in a stubborn dizzy as I was setting the base timing the other day. ITS ALL RUNNING VERY WELL icon_smile.gif sorry for shouting but I just couldn't believe it......all base program and just ripping on me.....feels weaker as their's NO surging at all but I'm up to speed SO fast...hard to say as I've been abstaining from speed for 6 wks or so but it's sure working well......if I wasn't short on <1/8 tank of gas and no wallet with me I don't think I'd of come home tonight icon_smile.gif NO bogging/NO burping and farting....NO fuel smell, NO dieseling....wait sounds like most any OEM car.....yup, but I built it and.... icon_smile.gif ahh, time for bed, just had to update.....PSS suspension didn't seem as stiff as usual.....thinking some extra torque might be their icon_smile.gif...or my mind and heart were lightspeeds ahead on cloud nine icon_biggrin.gif

so kewl to be "back in the saddle again!:

nite

Don't you just love the Pro-Flo Ross!! It's just to cool, The other day while I was sitting in the car with it running, I noticed that the idle speed was way to low. With a few pushes of the control panel I uped the idle speed all while just sitting in the car!! icon_biggrin.gif

i priced out the pump for the 87 van and its up to $95 local ( $150 cdn)

the brand was airtex and this is a copy from their tech dept.

The flow rate for a E2000 pump is 30 to 40 gph, with a max pressure of 70

to 95 psi. If you need more information call our tech line @ 800-424-7839.

Thank you for the inquiry.

oh yeah, the parts place actually had 2 in stock - the one i saw came with plain 5/16" or 3/8" line ends so super easy to install and came with a nice rubber "condom" about 1/4" thick to mount it with..

i think i'll be using it...

thanks to Jack!...

oh and its 87 only- the parts book doesnt list a 86 351W with FI. only 4v carb -

theres a lot of different pumps for this vehicle too- whether dual tanks and some even had in tank pumps.. so yu need the external 351w FI pump..

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: scca ]

Guest Anonymous

cool! Mine was a junkyard find. I thought it was a 351 (oops), but it could have been an injected 302.

whichever, it is quiet. icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I went down to Napa today. They have that pump in stock, $116. However, counter guy told me something odd. He said the ford van uses two pumps, one in the tank and this one. Said the one in the tank provides pressure to this one. Without the one in the tank the external one will not suck up the gas. Does this sound right to you? I know there is a ford tech on this board, are you out there?

Guest Anonymous

True. That model Ford van has a surge tank which is fed by a low pressure pump in the tank. The high pressure inline pump feeds the EFI. It works just like the system that SDS has diagrammed on their site.