HybridZ

LT1 & T56

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, first time post. I'm looking at getting a LT1 engine and T56 transmission from a 1993 Camaro. I was originally doing a 327 & T5 but came across this setup. My question is: is this a ok year to go with. Pros and cons. It comes with complete engine, accessories and brackets, wiring harnesses, transmission, bellhousing, slave and master cylinder. Mileage is 109000 (the car looks well cared for). The price is 1750.00. I know the mileage is high but it seems afordable compared to what I've seen with lower mileage. What other items should I ask for, such as radiator(I have one from an 80's camaro), drive line(I have one for the T5). From those who have done this swap any input will be helpful. Thanks Joe

Guest Anonymous

Grrrrrr..... Thats almost what I paid for my T56 by itself!!!!!!! The only downside (and I personally don't think its a huge downside) is the 93 T56 had a little less torque capacity (400 ft/lbs) and its final drive ration I believe in 6th was something like .62 (vs .5 for 94-up T56's), still a very usuable ratio and I'd jump on it personally, do a refresh on the engine, all the pieces there.. damn, thats a nice score.. IMHO icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Hansen,

Like Lone said a very sweet score, however before you get your hopes up, I would do some cursory checking of the engine and tranny. I did not have the luxury of hearing my engine run when I purchased it, so I went on blind faith that it is a solid engine, time will tell. In your case, it sounds like the engine and tranny package is still in the Camaro. I would treat it like buying a used car and do your homework. Check the compression, do a leak down test, look at the oil and antifreeze, smell the oil, check for leaks – the basics. If you don’t have the time to do this, give a good mechanic a $100 for it. This could save you a lot of grief down the road. The mileage you stated is not excessive for an 8-year-old car. I probably will be stoned for saying this but most stock FI computer controlled engines meter fuel and control timing much more accurately then there carburetor brethren. Consequently, your LT1 if properly maintained even with +100K might not need any internal engine work. Naturally all bets are off if the basics were not done to the car over the years or it was really hammered. Good Luck.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Danno, I don't think anyone will stone ya for that statement. Thats absolutely true, not fiction.

EFI engines last longer because fuel is metered more accurately, unless a person was running some insanely huge injectors (which probably would cause an idle problem anyway)and you really screwed with the fuel tables in the computer then you're not likely to have near the amount of wall washing that occurs with carburetors. Oil stays cleaner longer, motor last longer. icon_smile.gif

100K if the car was well maintained like mentioned probably still has good life in it.

That said, even if you price it out part by part, assuming you got a good deal on a T56 it would still run you probably 1200.00 if its not hurt (some have been had for less, but have had some occurences of shift rail breakage, IMHO this is because of slam shifting the stock shifter which doesn't have positive stops like the aftermarket shifters, just a theory mind you) , add the LT1 TPI which used go about 3-400.00 your almost to the price wanted anyway even if the motors shot.

Block and heads 1-300.00 (or more, I'm guessing, I havn't priced LT1 heads or block used), still works out to a good deal IMHO.

Its a good deal, but like the other fella's said, maybe have a mechanic look it over to ensure that its intact and that it is what they claim it is. *shrug*

Good luck with it,

Lone

Guest super280z

check out the prices on ebay. a 6 speed and lt1 combo is going from 1500-2500. but the 6 speed can be had for about 400 bucks. sshh... dont tell anyone, but they still bring 1300-1700 hehe... the deal with the 93's is that they were rated less net HP than the 94-97's but otherwise a good combo. the 93 pcm has a removeable VATS prom that you can easily replace to have it disabled. but the newer pcm's have to be reprogramed. other than that it's about the same. sounds like a good score. but keep in mind that an electronically controlled engine swap is a lot of work.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the input! I have heard the engine run, sounds ok but have not done any compression checks(I will). On the transmission all I have done is place it in gear while running and let out the clutch. It went into all gears. But going back to related parts I will need specific to this swap. While the car is still complete, are there any parts I should ask for such as drive line, radiator, over flow tanks, etc. Also are there any clearance problems with the accessories fitting under the stock hood and between the frame. Such as A/C compressor, power steering pump(If I choose to modify to power steering). Thanks Joe

Guest super280z

the front or whole driveshaft would be very helpful im sure. what year car are you going to retrofit this into? mine is a 79zx. i dunno about the a/c and air pump, but mine with a/c delete bracket,power steering, and alternator clears the hood with ease. see if you can talk him into the radiator, fans, and all the hoses. all the miniscule little things turn out to be what kills you on money in the end.

Get the clutch slavemaster (you can use the line if you want), the shifter w/knob, maybe the boot too. Electric fan if it's got one (think it does). Maybe measure the radiator but don't get your hopes up icon_rolleyes.gif

Dunno' what else - anything you can get I suppose icon_biggrin.gif

Hansen,

Wow, I thought I was going to get shelled. malebitchslap.gif The older LT1's also had some Optispark issues. Personally, I think blown way out of proportion. On 95' and up some vent tubes/holes were added to the "distributor" to get rid of potential condensation. From most reports the Optispark generally last about 100K so you maybe looking at changing it out. This is something to think about when the engine is out of the Camaro. I would forget about the radiator - too long for the Z. If I'm not mistaken 24" is all you can go in the Z and the Camaro is up around 30". I'm not using the PS pump or air pump but I am keeping the AC compressor. To do this, I'm making my own mounts. I have some ideas and a spare front cross member so the wheels are spinning on how to make it work.

Danno74Z

Guest super280z

moridin,

check out Camaroz28.com in the for sale section.

there was a guy selling T-56 for pretty cheap a few weeks back. alot of those guys ditch the t-56 for a turbo 400 so you can usually catch them for pretty cheap. good luck