HybridZ

Crane Ignition Help Needed!!!!

Guys:

Recently installed the Crane 700 ignition and LX 91 coil on my '70. Since then, I've gone from one problem to another. Before, the car was timed right and ran fairly well. After, I had problems with the car not starting (sounded like the battery was dead) - if I push started it, it ran great! Adjusted the LED a little and got it to start better, ran OK, but super rich and it strangles at the high end. What the Heck!! Before installation, car was baseline timed, splitfire plugs and taylor wires were installed. Anyone have any tips or experience they can share?

Thanks in advance....

Guest jcp240z

You need to retime it. I've heard of many people having timing thrown off by 10Deg or more by the install of an Elec. Ign. The better cross zero detection maybe?

"Thanks in advance"...is that some sort of pun??

You've got to time the spark as part of the installation of your Crane photocell/shutter ignition. Installation might put you a little off, or a mile off, but it's going to change. Follow the manual. It's best to set static timing to start with: bump engine around until #1 is coming towards TDC on it's COMPRESSION stroke, rotate it up until the mark is at the amount of initial advance you want, and with key on and photocell holder positioned correctly, slowly rotate the distributor until there's a spark from #1 spark plug wire (put a bolt in the terminal/boot and rest it 1/4" from some metal engine surface. When setting, make sure you're rotating the dist the opposite direction the rotor turns to get the best accuracy. DAW