HybridZ

GN V6 vs. normal Buick V6

Guest John Adkins

Guest John Adkins

How is the GN V6 different from the normal Buick V6 (besides having a turbo) wink.gif. Is the block, crank, etc. stronger? Can a normal Buick v6 used to build a GN-level hp motor?

Just wondering,

John

As far as I know, the basic engine components, i.e., block, heads and crank are identical. Obviously, things such as cam, external bolt-ons and c.r. are turbo-specific. One of the tricks is to use the 4.1L version used for larger cars and that block has even been taken out to 4.5. The later engine, labeled the 3800 is a different design and so is the pre-77 "odd-fire" design.

If I was starting from scratch, I would look for a 4.1, do pistons, and then search the GN forum for GNers who have upgraded their engines and have the stock bolt-ons for sale. Not sure building a turbo-engine from a NA 3.8L is any less expensive that paying for a real turbo engine unless you can find all the needed parts in a bundle.

IMO, the big advantage that the 3.8 turbo has over the Sy/Ty is that, like the SBC, they have been tweaking this thing for a long time and it is probably less expensive to extract big HP. Bone-stock engine, chip upgrade, HIGH-octane and turning up the boost yields big numbers.

Scottie

The welded rear is in and I am getting used to driving it. Seems to be working fine and I light up the tires even easier. The track will have to wait for a couple of weeks. Pretty busy at work next week and will be in San Diego the entire week of 5/1. Possibly the week after but I was told by the track to not try and run with only a 4-pt rollbar if the car will go quicker that 11.99, which I expect it to, even on its debut.

Work and play dont mix and I cant play if I dont work, hehe.

Scottie

BTW, anyone in San Diego want to get together on the week of 5/1?