HybridZ

V6 Tech Sites

I'm looking for any and all info reguarding V6 build-ups, web sites are prefered but anything would be appreciated. I've ordered the Chevy Power Manual(local dealer didn't have it in stock) Thank's for the E-mail Scott, I'm looking for a 4.3 assembly now, 87-91 seems to be the best years block wise. I can't seem to find much in the way of intake manifolds though, exhaust headers will come from Sanderson, camshaft choices seem limited also, any sugguestions? Thanks Mark

------------------

Edlebrock has the performer. Watch out it comes in two versions for the 90 degree. Find the big port design. Force feeding an engine will make less an issue for manifolds. Comp Cams will grind any profile you want. Got some lame tech last time I called them, but have had excellent results with them before. I'll post some #s for different boosts, etc. These were designd for the engine, weight, supercharger etc. Late for work! gotta go!

JS

Z-Dreamer: I've tried to find V6 sites, too. Look in the Typhoon/Syclone areas. They'll be dedicated computer/ FI engines. Intimidating performance claims! Good tips sometimes. We're building somewhat of a different animal here. Here are some specs. I am going to assume you are going to run low compression/high boost to maximize the power out put of the V6. The lower the compression, the higher the boost and higher hp figures you can achieve. Don't cheat and go with the hypereutectic pistons that came with the syclone. If you make a timing boo boo or over boost they'll be gone pretty quick. Absolutly stick to the forged when supercharging. They will take more abuse. With the TRW forged 7.5:1 (w/ stock head combus. chamber volume) part # L211F, 15 to 16 psi won't be a problem w/ pump premium. Cam specs for 10 psi: 228/232 @ .050, 474/483 lift, 114 lobe sep. angle. This is the cam I am running. It was designed for the Zs weight, 3.54 gears, Automatic trans, some minor head work, high flow valves, etc. I never thought I'd be running 18 psi, but more is better, too much is just right! For 14 psi with a standard trans, the specs are up to 230/236 @.050 488/491 lift, same 114 lobe s.a. This is the cam I would recommend for your application with the 5 or 6 speed. I'll change to this profile when I make my trans swap. My cam pulls only 7 inches of vac. at idle in gear. This one will definitly need a vacuum resivoir for the brakes. See summit for this. Order # from Comp Cams is 5445/5208H 114. This is a flat tappet hydraulic cam. Chevy says the flat tappet cams are interchangable with the roller versions. CC also agrees with this info. I really recommend their Magnum roller rockers # 1301-12. Lighter than many companies alum. and VERY durable. You will need to have your heads fit for screw in studs and guide plates. With this combo you will also need hardened pushrods, cc# 7372 (confirm # for hardened). I run the positive stem seals and guides have been machined to fit them. Oil in the combustion chamber is an enemy to blown engines which causes predetonation. Springs will be 981-12. Make sure they are adjusted to fit CC specs. Retainers # 742. Please verify all part #s. Some of these are old. The cam # for the 14 psi is current.

Manifolds: As I said their are two versions of the Performer. The one you'll see in the chevy manual is the small port design and made by edlebrock. I bought one of these from edlebrock only to ship it back the same day. Runners are the size of your thumb. I begged edlebrock for 4 years to make a big port design to fit the 4.3 heads. After many phone calls I received one of the first, if not the first large port manifolds made for the 4.3 exclusively. This is a good design for hood clearence and with really minor match porting works very well. (Edelbrock emailed me today and said the 4.3 Performer # 2111 This manifold will require the Mallory Unilite distrib. #4770001H. The new design of this dist. is a really clean unit. It features set screws to adjust the mechan. advance. We'll talk about the timing curves later. A large cap dist. will hit the Holley's rear float bowl. The Unilite just clears. MSD also makes a small cap distrib., but I haven't verified the fit. A unilite can be run with the MSD 6AL for example, or Mallory's Promaster coil. I'm going to use the MSD 6AL since I believe rev limiters are a good idea.) Chev. made a cross ram to fit the stock heads, but these are really rare. Many Sy/Ty folks are putting 2.02/1.60 valves in the stock heads for more flow. Something to consider. I used the Manley Pro-Flos 1.94/1.50s. Didn't think the 2.02s would fit. I'll have to look into this too. If you go with any of the chevy alum. heads the new design crossram is an excellent manifold, but pretty high also fits the big cap HEIs. I have a source for some older design raised runner heads and manifolds. A lot of machine work would be required, heads are bare.Big hp #s are possible though. Brodix and Chev. make some really nasty designs w/huge big block size valves, huge runners, huge prices. Let me know when you are ready for more! biggrin.gif

John Scott

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 19, 2000).]