HybridZ

The forgotten V6?

Z-Dreamer

While peeling through the current Chevy performance catalog, I noticed that Chevy sells some HP parts for the 60' V6, not a lot of parts, but more than I expected. Chevy even makes an Aluminum block and heads for this bowtie. After surfin the web all night, I've discovered that there is a fair amount of speed equipment made for this engine. Suppose, just suppose that you added a Turbo or a ATI supercharger to say a 60' 3.4 V6 ?

This combination would be incredibly lite and would add considerably to the Z's already great handling. And last, but not least, it would be inexpensive and different. This engine can be found in late model F-bodies. Ok Folks, time to speak up! Update on my current ride, suspension rebuild and mods, electrical glitches mad.gif and body work, LOTS of sanding and filling. I still have not decided on what engine/transmission. I'm not a hard core Drag racer and I like twisty roads. This is and will remain a daily driver. Mark

------------------

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited June 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited July 01, 2000).]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

What is the bellhousing mounting configuration for the engine? Is it different than the typical SBC/4.3L V6?

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Zdriver.com

Guest Anonymous

I just looked up the engine weight of the Chevy 60 deg V6 (2.8/3.1L) and it is only 350lbs! With aluminum heads and intake I'm sure the weight would come in below 300lbs. Add on a procharger with 20 lbs of boost and an intercooler and I'd say that would be a winning combo capable of over 400hp. If it can be paired with a typical bellhousing similar to a V8 than I might be sold on this combo....the Monster might come in below 1700 lbs total!!!!

SpencZ

Guest Anonymous

YUP...I had so many e-mails telling me I was being foolish giving up on the car that it forced me to really think about what I was doing. I realized that I can still do the car...it will just take longer to get the money necessary to complete it. I'm going to just take it slow and steady instead of the "I have to get it done by next spring" mentality that was previously driving me.

SpencZ

Guest Locutus

I know what you mean, I had to step back and look at what I wanted too. I see so much I have to do that the cost is more my labor than parts that I need to worry about first

Like floor pans, frame rails, and getting it street legal so my apt complex will quit towing the damn thing smile.gifLOL

Scottie-GNZ, That was me who posted the link to that Wicked 510! Twin Turbo SFI on a 2.8 V6! The 3.4 60' V6 is the base engine in all late model camaro/firebirds. Most of them come with T-5's, so an aftermaket T-56 could be used. The 60' V6 is perfectly balanced having a 120'firing stroke plus 60' block this means that the only reason for a balancer or torsional Damper as it's called, is to show timing marks and/or a crank fired ignition! This engine is balanced internally!

As for weight, the cast iron block weighs 106 lbs! The aluminum "priority main feed" block comes in at 59 lbs. eek.gif Late model F-bodies use the aluminum heads that have good flow numbers, roller cam good to 6000 RPM and a fairly free breathing SFI intake! All stock! The connecting rods are good to about 7000 RPM with some work or you can use sbc con rods if you bush the piston end as per the Chevy Power Factory Book. Forged cranks are available thru companies like Scat, Crower, Callies etc... Check out the GM performance Catalog and aftermaket sites.

Here are a couple of sites I've run across. www.s-series.org/htm/windstorm/project-windstorm.htm www.greenwoodchevy.com/partsmain.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited June 29, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

I'm intrigued by the 60 deg V6...as soon as I sell my 383 stuff I think I'll pick up a 3.4L unit and get to work....how much HP do you think is possible with this engine and a good dose of ProCharger??

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Zdriver.com

I THINK that either ProCharger or Vortech actually has a blower kit for this motor in an F-Body. If you're really interested my friend deals ProCharger and I can ask about it. If they don't make a specific kit and you're willing to fab one I may also be able to get you just a head unit - possibly used - for a reasonable price. He just sold off a HUGE D3 unit and got hold of another slightly smaller on in a horse trade.

Take a close look at this motor in the slight older F-bodies. A coworker had one and it's intake looked just like a little TPI - very neat looking. I also seem to recall GM's skunkworks building up a really nasty Camaro with one of these, possibly twin turbo but I'm fuzzy onthat part. It's NOT a bad motor, especially if you use the roundy round race parts. Headers might need to be custom maybe but this could be a pretty cool little powerplant especially if it's got forced induction :-)

Keep us posted guys - this is a cool project IMO.

Welcome back SpencZ!

As for HP #'s, from those I've spoken to and sites I've seen, 250-300 HP is pretty easy without forced-induction. So doubling that with a good single or twin turbo or Procharger thats intercooled should be attainable. Have you checked out the sites that Scottie-GNZ and I have posted in this thread? I'm thinking a 3.4 iron block with four bolt mains, forged crank, sbc rods, Gen III aluminum heads, Forged 7.5 to 1 pistons, roller cam, headers ( need to find somebody who makes these), reworked stock SFI with larger injectors and/or throttle-body, Twin Turbo w/intercooler or a Procharger w/intercooler. I would prefer a T-56 or WCT-5. Again welcome back and remain patient. Mark

Guest Anonymous

If I could get 425hp out of the 3.4 I'd be very very happy. The weight of my car with driver would come in at around 1700lbs and with 425 hp that would be a 4:1 p/w ratio...yow!!!twin turbos would be SOOOO cool but the amount of money needed for EFI would be outrageous. The benefit of the procharger is that a carb could be used which would definately cut costs. The neat thing about the 60 deg motor is that fitting twin turbos would really be easy. How much are the good aftermarket EFI systems out there...better yet...can the SFI that comes with the motor be modified for forced induction??

SpencZ

Monsterz Cont.

SpencZ, The stock SFI intake has a throttle-body at the front ala LT1. So adapting a Procharger shouldn't be much of a problem. I don't like carbs... SFI is soooo

much better. With a little port matching and larger injectors it should work fine. To see some picks of a factory SFI intake check out

the Windstorm link I posted earlier. Mark

------------------

Holy Smoke - check out the prices for that Camaro motor! http://www.s-series.org/htm/windstorm/project-windstorm-stage3.htm

$400 sans PS and alternator? For that price it came WITH the injection?! Now THAT is a screaming deal. These guys carry T56 too for those of you looking -> http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

They've got a whole page dedicated to V6 motors and are located in the SouthEast so that should save some us shipping maybe. Sweet! You can get the 6 as big as 3.8 liters in the $500-$600 range. http://www.tacreationsusa.com/v6engine.htm

Oh man - if I wasn't in a hurry to get this done and drive it this would be pretty tempting. I hope someone takes this project up and let's us know how it works out with a blower and T56 :-)

Guest Anonymous

I'm sold....everybody....MonsterZ's new powerplant will be a blown 3.4L V6 hooked up to a T56 tranny. Now all I need to do is find some aftermarket suppliers for new pistons!! I also need to decide whether the forced induction should come from a supercharger or twin turbos??? $2000 for the procharger (+ whatever I need for pulleys etc), or $??? for a couple of used turbos??

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Zdriver.com

Ain't it cool! cool.gif Forged pistons at say 7.5 to 1 may have to be custom made, companies like JE, BRC and others can do this for a modest price. The prices for a low mileage 3.4 from tacreationsusa.com are killer! eek.gif The 60' 3.4 V6 maybe the best kept sleeper motor out there to date. Mark

------------------

BLKMGK, I'd like to know what kind of pricing the ProCharger P600 or D1 would be from your friend the dealer. The power to weight potential would be amazing and affordable. Imagine the look on the faces of all those Ruststangs, F-bodies and Rice-burners after you open the hood! biggrin.gif Mark

------------------