HybridZ

The forgotten V6?

Z-Dreamer

Guest Frank280z

Do you guys remember the concept truck GM introduced as the Xtreem S10? Not like the ones out on the market now. This was show and go!!! 4.3 N/A producing 435hp. They also used it on tnn's "truck" show. On the track doing 60ft smokies. And on the dyno almost ripping the chains out of the wall hitting second gear. No kidding. Thats one mean powerplant. If you guys were considering going with a bit larger engine(N/A); look no further.

Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4.3? Whats that? I'd love to see the build sheet on that motor!. The 4.3 is a great motor. The 60 degree offers some really interesting possibilities too. So, keep your jobs, its going to take some cash to build any of these giant slayers.

JS

Hey SpencZ, are you back yet? Haven't heard from you in a while. This thread sure took off. smile.gifAny luck in selling the 383 parts? I would like to see the parts for sale section a little clearer for those who and buy. Mark

------------------

Guest Anonymous

Yeah...I'm back. I'm leaving again in a few hours to the coast to finish up the project. It should take another week or so. I'm building this stairway at this rich cottage that extends from the top of this bluff down to the shore 80' below. This normally wouldn't be a problem but the hill going down to the shore is solid sand and loose pea gravel so making it up and down without breaking anything is a chore. We sunk 12 posts in the hill the last 4 days and got some stringers up...there is still a healthy amount of work to do though. All this for the Z...at $10/hour...it adds up rather quickly. I'll get busy on the Monster once I get back with the fat check and an itchin' for metal slivers.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

zdriver.com

PS...I still have 383 parts for sale....pleeeeaaaase buy them....!!!!!

John Scott, You never did answer my question about whether youre crankshaft was forged or not. I've read and been told that the cast 3.4 crankshaft if properly prepared is good to 450-500 HP. SpencZ, please post youre parts for sale in the buy/sell section of this site. BLKMGK, any word on the pricing for a P600 ProCharger with bypass and 12 rib pulley? Mark

------------------

ZD, I answered right after your first post on the question. "... couldn't afford the raw cast forged crank" This is the forged oddfire crankshaft offered by Cheverolet. Allows use of smallblock rods. I'm sure this would be pretty pricey to have machined. In other words I have the stock crankshaft. Haven't run into anyone who has used the oddfire.

JS

The carbed SBC kit has what you're looking for I believe - was about $1700 or so. Best thing to do is call my guy at Excessive and talk turkey. One problem we ran into was the tensioner - ATI sells them at different prices for different kits - prices vary a good bit (sigh).

Cal after about 12:00 Eastern time. (703) 331-1422 and ask for Tory. Tell him Jim sent you! I'll also see if I can't get him on here but be warned he's more into Fords than funny little Zs (smile). Right now they've got no used blowers in stock unless you want say a D3 aka "ferris wheel".

Guest Anonymous

Back (before my Z), I was building a 3.1 V6 for an '81 Toyota PU SWB. Everything I ran into about parts for that motor was +1/3 cost of what I could build a GOOD SBC for. This venture you speak of will run you some money. I looked into to it back in '90. I don't know what the costs are now, which as far as I can tell hasn't changed much. If you got the bucks, I say go for it. The power/weight ratio would be amazing(as with the Toy), but the cost forced me to other routes, namely selling the truck after 9K investment. That Toy was running 9's the last I heard, w/ SBC(back in '98). It all goes down to how fast do you want to go and how much money you got. Sorry to quote that, but it's oh so true.

------------------

Might as well.

Spot, thanks for your comments, as for cost vs power, a properly prepared 3.4 V6 will run me approximately $2500-$3000, this includes the purchase price of a complete motor with SFI from a wrecking yard,(see above posts) adding a ATI P600 w/bypass valve adds another say $2500 so the price is about the same as a stout sbc, but at about 1/3 of the weight! This will increase handling and acceleration significantly, also I can't wait to see the look on the faces of those I've just dusted after opening my hood! Mark

------------------

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited July 16, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Mark, I do respect the need to be different but I believe a v8 conversion would cost less, yield a faster car, & cost much less. Of coarse this is my opinion but I just dished out $4k for a real stout 355 chevy for my 73. Thats about $1k more than i figured going into it & I've done this before. It always costs more than you figure. Then figure in the custom mounts (lots more work & possably more money). I also find it hard to believe that your six even with supercharger (250hp+40% with s.c.=417hp.) will put out the same amount of power as my normaly aspirated 8 (450hp+)and boy will it be stressed. If i want to stress my v8 i can ad N.O.S. for even more power. As for weight i dought it will be 1/3 the weight. I bet its closer to 3/4 the weight when you facter in a small starter, al. heads, al. intake, al. water pump, headers, ect... on the v8. How much will the blower, intercooler, ect... weigh? With the price difference i'll be purchasing fiberglass hood, fenders, doors, & hatch that will remove weight from better points on the car. The extra weight of the v8 will be low & center in the car, the best place to have it. My point here is not to start a mine is better than yours & i hope it isn't taken that way. I don't want to start a six verse 8 war. My point is to play devils advocate. This is of coarse my opinion based on the facts known to me.