HybridZ

tranny ?'s for a 4.3 swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok here it is.... i got a 83 zx which has the nissan 5 speed (i think). i would like to swap my L6 for a 4.3 (or 350) chevy while retaining a 5 speed, (i checked out the t56 and i just think it is geared way too high, but would appreciate any thoughts on that matter) so that leaves me with the option of keeping my stock tranny or going with the t5. i hope to pull 250-300hp out of the 4.3 so the t5 should be ok, but i was wondering how the nissan 5 speed would hold up, presuming i could find a bell housing somewhere that would work. now about the t5... do all t5's have the same gear ratios, shifter location, clutch pattern, ect. (i think they came in z's, stangs, camaros, and vetts) or should i stick with the t5's that came in z cars? thanks.

Shannon, the easiest way to run a T5 with the 4.3 is use the model for the camaro or firebird. These will bolt up directly to the 4.3 and can use the camaro flywheel, clutch etc. The truck models are weak and 1st gear too steep for the Z. The Z trans is also too weak and would be a nightmare trying to figure out clutches, bells etc to work. Using the later WCT5 will eliminate some of the inherent weaknesses of the T5.

JS

I second the motion! While I do NOT think the T56 is too high a gear in this case a T5 makes sense. Not too much HP for it, light weight, and there's a performance application that already uses it. What's to not like?

Do pay attention to your rear ratio and the overdrive gearing. The upside of the T56 is it's .5 gear - with short 25inch tires and a 3.90 or 3.70 gear I'll be able to cruise along nicely on the highway. The downside is the weight and expense of the T56 but for the level of power I desire it's strength is needed (shrug).

Sounds like you've got a plan!

P.S. You can mix and match some gears inthe T5. You may even be abel to get a steeper OD gearing. The Ford guys juggle the gears a good bit - lookup Hanlon Motorsports, he's a great guy and I've met him. He'll know what to do if you need to juggle or rebuild a T5 or Tremec (he did my Tremec).