HybridZ

question for scottie

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought an 87 GN in showroom mint condition with 50,000 miles on it. All the stickers, the t-top covers original paint everything is there. I was looking at Acura's this afternoon for a second car and decided to call this guy in the paper because he was close by. I get suckered in every time by fast cars. I really haven't looked at these so don't really know what I bought or whats out there. I'm just nervous that maybe I overpaid for it. It's too late now but I know you know these cars and just looking for some feedback. I paid

$14,900, thanks Paul

Paul,

I want to make sure I understand that you are saying you paid $14,900 for a mint 87 GN with 50K miles.

Even if you overpaid, you have a rare beast and should hold on to it. It will not depreciate. If you are concerned about cars challenging you, I can tell you that with minor tweaks, your GN can comfortably run mid-12s on pump gas and short of hopped-up Vipers and all-out race cars, nothing will hang with you.

I am into the Buick drivetrain, not necessarily the cars and so cannot answer your question. If you like, I can post the question on the Buick forums and link you to the responses. MOF, you probably should start lurking on those boards.

Paul,

Scottie's correct about joining the Buick GN sites & clubs. First thing I'ld like to say is that you dont have a typical GN; your has T-Tops. That alone seperates your GN from the rest of the crowd & then multiply that factor w/the fact that yours is low mileage & in mint condition!

Unless I'm mistaken-I dont think all GN's came w/T-Tops; did they?

My 1998 "Standard Guide to CARS & PRICES" has collector cars listed on a scale from 1-5; with 1 being mint (original & never driven/stored in an atmospheric controlled "Museum" environment) and 2 being a "mint" condition driven car w/low miles on it or a ground up restoration.

This book lists your 87 GN at $14,000 at the #2 column; and doesnt have an add-on for T-Tops; but I'ld bet the price has appreciated w/in those few years & the T-Top factor should add value as well.

I'ld get a professional auto appraiser/collector to give you an appraisal on your car; for insurance purposes & so in years to come you can show your appraisal to any prospective buyers if/when you ever decide to sell.

Congrats on your purchase & welcome to the site.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Paul, don't lament the fact you might have paid too much for the Buick. I'm in the car business and I can tell you to throw the Kelly Blue Book out the window when it comes to a nice, rare car in exceptionally good condition. There is a specialty auto place down the street from me and they have a GN of similar vintage, but looks like crap even after detailing. They are asking $10K for the car!!! What's a little more for an unmolested car with much lower miles and in great shape? It's worth it. So, suck in your stomach, work with what you've got, and blow everyone away! No problem...

David

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

yeah i think you got a pretty good deal for it, clean title right? ive seen them go in the paper for 20k and mroe, and a buddy of mine sold one with a theft/salvaged title with a rebuilt pumped up drivetrain for 14k! rejoice man you came up.